Storing silver nitrate solution

• Thread starter skyshrimp
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Silver
In summary, if you want to use a plastic bottle to store the chloride mixture, make sure to seal it with a plastic stopper. If you can't use a metal screw cap, glass stoppers or polyethylene-foil cork stoppers will work.
skyshrimp
I'm going to attempt the Mohr's Method chloride test at home for my saltwater aquarium.

It requires me to add 5g of sliver nitrate to 250ml of distilled water and store it in a brown bottle. I have an opaque, black 750ml bottle I can use that I washed out with 0 TDS water. It used to contain Bailey's Liquor and has a metal screw top lid. Will this be ok to use? Can I use a plastic bottle to store it in instead?

I don't have the equipment to distill so I kept partially freezing tapwater and retaining the ice until the TDS was 0.

I also have to mix 1g of potassium chromate with 20ml of distilled water. Would this have to be in a glass bottle or can I use a plastic one?

Thanks

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Don't ever use bottles that were earlier used to keep any food for reagents. Not because of possible contamination, but to avoid nasty mistakes. Few years ago a kid died in Warsaw after drinking some kind of wood protection liquid that her grandpa kept in a coca cola bottle.

If you keep your reagents in a dark cabinet, using brown bottles don't matter much.

I would prefer glass bottles for both silver nitrate and dichromate.

http://www.titrations.info/precipitation-titration-argentometry-chlorides-Mohr

skyshrimp said:
(snip) ... has a metal screw top lid. (Big no-no for AgNO3) Can I use a plastic bottle to store it in instead? Should be okay as long as you keep it in the dark; caveat: it will embrittle plastic over time, so if you can store your plastic bottle in a glass jar, it'll do wonders for preserving the finish on your furniture.

I don't have the equipment to distill so I kept partially freezing tapwater and retaining the ice until the TDS was 0. Outstanding --- didn't think there was anyone else in the world as eccentric that way as yours truly.

I also have to mix 1g of potassium chromate with 20ml of distilled water. Would this have to be in a glass bottle or can I use a plastic one?
Ought to be okay, same caution.
Thanks

Thanks,

So if I used glass bottles, how should I seal them if I can't use their metal screw caps?

Glass stoppers are the best, but I guess you don't have them. Polyethylene plastic stoppers are quite good as well. If you have neither, cork stoppers wrapped in polyethylene foil should work as a last resort.

1. How should silver nitrate solution be stored?

Silver nitrate solution should be stored in a cool, dry place away from direct sunlight and heat sources. It should also be kept in a tightly sealed container to prevent evaporation.

2. Can silver nitrate solution be stored for a long period of time?

Yes, silver nitrate solution can be stored for a long period of time if it is properly stored. However, over time it may degrade and lose its potency, so it is recommended to use it within a year of purchase.

3. What precautions should be taken when storing silver nitrate solution?

When storing silver nitrate solution, it is important to wear gloves and safety goggles to avoid direct contact with the solution. It is also important to label the container clearly and keep it out of reach of children and pets.

4. Can silver nitrate solution be stored in any type of container?

No, silver nitrate solution should be stored in a container made of glass or plastic that is specifically designed for chemical storage. Avoid using containers made of metal or reactive materials, as they may cause a chemical reaction with the solution.

5. How should I dispose of silver nitrate solution that is no longer needed?

Silver nitrate solution should be disposed of according to local regulations. It should not be poured down the drain or thrown in the trash. Contact your local waste management facility for proper disposal instructions.