Story of Operators Creation/Anihilation

• Thread starter intrication
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Operators
In summary, the conversation is about the invention and first use of creation and annihilation operators in quantum mechanics. It is mentioned that they were first introduced by Dirac, and were not initially standard in the early days of QM. Dirac used them in his formulation of the positron, which he initially believed was the proton. The use of these operators becomes important in describing the annihilation of inertial mass into pure energy.
intrication
Hi everyone !

Could you tell me who is the inventor of these two operators (creation/anihilation) ?

Was he a mathematician ? A physicist ? or both ?

Who was the first to use them in Quantum Mechanics ?

It's hard to find this kind of information.

Thanks

Jonathan

Physics news on Phys.org
I think they were first introduced by Dirac.

There is quote in the book by Ryder in which I think Feynman intorduces annihilation/creation operators and then Dyson says to Feynman how the creation operator for the electron can create an electron out of the vacuum as that would violate charge conservation. :rofl:

So, it seems to me that the use of ladder operators as creation/annihilation operators was not standard in the early days of QM.

Dirac coined them, i think. It was used in his formulation on the positron, which initially he believed was the proton. Annihilaton becomes important for obvious reasons under his famous equation, since it describes the annihilation of inertial mass into pure gamma energy.

Thank you for all these answers !

1. What is the "Story of Operators Creation/Anihilation"?

The Story of Operators Creation/Anihilation is a concept in physics that explains the creation and annihilation of particles by operators. It is a fundamental part of quantum field theory and is used to describe the behavior of subatomic particles.

2. How are operators created and annihilated?

Operators are created and annihilated through a process called particle-antiparticle pair production and annihilation. This process involves the conversion of energy into matter and vice versa.

3. What is the significance of the "Story of Operators Creation/Anihilation" in physics?

The "Story of Operators Creation/Anihilation" is significant because it helps us understand the behavior of subatomic particles and how they interact with each other. It also plays a crucial role in many areas of modern physics, including quantum mechanics and particle physics.

4. Are there any real-world applications of the "Story of Operators Creation/Anihilation"?

Yes, the "Story of Operators Creation/Anihilation" has many real-world applications, including in the development of new technologies such as particle accelerators and medical imaging devices. It also helps us understand the behavior of matter in extreme conditions, such as in the early universe or inside black holes.

5. Is the "Story of Operators Creation/Anihilation" a proven theory?

Yes, the "Story of Operators Creation/Anihilation" is a well-established and proven theory in physics. It has been extensively tested and verified through numerous experiments and observations, and it is a fundamental part of our current understanding of the universe.