Time travel in the quantum world

In summary, the conversation was about the possibility of individual particles traveling through time in the quantum world. The question came from a speech by an important physicist who claimed that this was possible, but the lack of a specific reference led to doubts about the accuracy of the statement. It was mentioned that scientists often make exaggerated claims in informal contexts, and that particles cannot actually travel back in time according to QFT. The thread was closed as the question had already been answered.
Arceus
hi users, I'm a new member of the forum. My question is about time travel in the quantum world. I am aware of the enormous limitations, but my topic is about individual particles and their ability to travel through time, is that possible for them? My question comes from a speech by an important physicist, who states that single particles in the quantum world can go back in time for example in 2012. Obviously there is no talk of paradoxes, and he refers to the Wigner theorem

Physics news on Phys.org
Arceus said:
My question comes from a speech by an important physicist
Please give a more specific reference.

Likes Vanadium 50
Arceus said:
I'm a new member of the forum.
Welcome to PF!

PeterDonis said:
Welcome to PF!
Hi PeterDonis at this moment I don't have the link of the text, but it concerned an interview made by a newspaper with professor Antonio Zicchichi, maybe I didn't write the name well. This physicist claims that individual particles like an electron, can go back into the past, in my view I believe the professor was referring to quantum foam and therefore to the indeterministic nature of the quantum world. But of course I'm on this forum for more information

Arceus said:
at this moment I don't have the link of the text, but it concerned an interview made by a newspaper with professor Antonio Zicchichi
We can't discuss a vague second-hand report of something. We need the actual first-hand reference. If you can't provide one, we will have to close this thread.

Likes Vanadium 50
Arceus said:
in my view I believe the professor was referring to quantum foam and therefore to the indeterministic nature of the quantum world
Which is not at all the same thing as "time travel is possible", even for individual quantum particles. So either you are misunderstanding what the professor said, or the professor is going way beyond what the actual theory says (which, unfortunately, scientists often do in informal contexts like interviews with newspapers). It's impossible to tell which without an actual reference to what the professor said.

Likes Delta2
PeterDonis said:
Which is not at all the same thing as "time travel is possible", even for individual quantum particles. So either you are misunderstanding what the professor said, or the professor is going way beyond what the actual theory says (which, unfortunately, scientists often do in informal contexts like interviews with newspapers). It's impossible to tell which without an actual reference to what the professor said.

PeterDonis said:
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.il...-non-per-noi-e-su-dio-vi-dico-che/102801/amp/

this is the link of the article, I do not speak Italian but cob the translator I was able to read what was written, and affirm that single particles can travel in the past in the quantum world. Unfortunately I don't have links in English, but using the translator you can read it. I know that in Italy this professor is very important but I don't know anything else about him.

He is just saying that elementary particles do not have a preference for future or past, a designated path from past to future, like classical objects do.
It's easy to confuse with particles somehow going back into past on a poorly translated page.

PeterDonis said:
which, unfortunately, scientists often do in informal contexts like interviews with newspapers
+1 yes they do that quite often...

Jarek 31 said:
Let me remind OP's question
Which was already shown, way back in post #8, to be based on a misunderstanding of what the professor referred to actually said.

Jarek 31 said:
So please let us avoid subjective QM interpretations here, and try to answer OP's question from QFT perceptive
The question is already answered: particles can't travel back in time. QFT agrees with this. CPT symmetry is not the same thing as time travel.

Likes vanhees71
The OP's question has been answered. Thread closed.

1. How does time travel work in the quantum world?

Time travel in the quantum world is a theoretical concept that suggests it may be possible to travel through time by manipulating quantum particles. This is based on the idea that quantum particles can exist in multiple states simultaneously, and by manipulating these states, it may be possible to travel to different points in time.

2. Is time travel in the quantum world possible?

Currently, time travel in the quantum world is purely theoretical and has not been proven to be possible. While quantum mechanics allows for the manipulation of particles in ways that could potentially lead to time travel, there are many scientific and technological challenges that would need to be overcome before it could become a reality.

3. What are the potential consequences of time travel in the quantum world?

The consequences of time travel in the quantum world are still largely unknown. Some theories suggest that it could create paradoxes and alter the course of history, while others propose that it could create alternate timelines. It is also possible that time travel could have unforeseen effects on the quantum realm itself.

4. Are there any real-world applications for time travel in the quantum world?

While time travel in the quantum world is still a theoretical concept, there are some potential applications that could have practical use. For example, manipulating quantum particles to travel through time could potentially be used for precise measurements and communication across vast distances.

5. How does time travel in the quantum world relate to the concept of parallel universes?

Some theories suggest that time travel in the quantum world could lead to the creation of parallel universes. This is based on the idea that changing the past could create alternate timelines and universes. However, this remains a highly debated topic and has not been proven to be true.