Straightedge and compass constructions

• Thread starter kingwinner
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Compass
In summary, Prove that 45 degrees can be trisected with straightedge and compass. A 60 degree constructible since equilateral triangle constructible can also be trisected. Copy this angle 3 times to trisect 45 degrees. Every element in F can be written as a + b\sqrt{2} + c\sqrt{3} + d\sqrt{6}, where a,b,c,d \in \mathbb{Q}. Is it possible to do it without this concept?
kingwinner
1) Prove that 45 degrees can be trisected with straightedge and compass.

My attempt:
60 deg constructible since equilateral triangle constructible
and 45 deg constructible since 90 deg constructible and we can bisect any angle.
=>(60-15)=15 deg constructible
Then copy this angle 3 times to trisect 45 deg (fact: any angle can be copied with straightedge and compass)
Did I get the right idea?

2) Let F={a+b√3 | a,b E Q(√2)} where Q(√2)={c+d√2 | c,d E Q}. Show that every element of F is the root of a polynomial of degree 4 with rational coefficients.

No clue...how to begin?

Can someone please help me? Particularly with Q2. Thanks a lot!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
2) In class, I've learned about the concepts of number fields, surds, trisectibility of angles, constructible numbers, angles, and polygons. But I still can't figure out how to solve this problem.

For example, I've learned the following theorems:

Theorem: If a cubic equation with rational coefficients has a constructible root, then it has a rational root.

Theorem:
Let (a+b√r) E F(√r) (i.e. in some tower of number fields).
Suppose p is a polynomail with rational coefficients, if p(a+b√r)=0, then p(a-b√r)=0.

Can anyone help me with Question 2, please? I am feeling desperate on this question...

Notice that every element in F can be written as [itex]a + b\sqrt{2} + c\sqrt{3} + d\sqrt{6}[/itex], where [itex]a,b,c,d \in \mathbb{Q}[/itex]. Do you know anything about degrees of extension fields?

Last edited:
morphism said:
Notice that every element in F can be written as [itex]a + b\sqrt{2} + c\sqrt{3} + d\sqrt{6}[/itex], where [itex]a,b,c,d \in \mathbb{Q}[/itex]. Do you know anything about degrees of extension fields?

I know about "the externsion of F by √r", but not about the degree.

Is it possible to do it without this concept??

x =a + b √ 3, with a, b in Q(√ 2)
then a = u + v √2 and b = m + n √2 for some u,v,m,n in Q

x =a + b √3
x-a = b √3
x^2 - 2ax + a^2 = 3 b^2
x^2 - 2(u+v √2) x + (u+v √2)^2 = 3 (m+n √2)^2
x^2 - 2ux + u^2 + 2v^2 - 3m^2 - 6n^2 = (2vx - 2uv + 6mn) √2
squaring both sides => we get a polynomial equation of degree 4 with rational coefficients

Is this a valid proof??

That looks right assuming the algebra is correct and the question isn't asking you to show that the minimal polynomial is of degree 4. As long as you've constructed a degree 4 polynomial with rational coefficients and x is the root, you'll be fine. Though as morphism says, this would be easier using a "degree of the field extension" argument.

hey..it is not impossible to trisect an angle using compass n a straight edge..ive proved it possible...

1. What is a straightedge and compass construction?

A straightedge and compass construction is a mathematical method of drawing geometric figures using only a straightedge (a ruler without markings) and a compass. This method is based on the principles of Euclidean geometry and was commonly used by ancient Greek mathematicians.

2. What can be constructed using a straightedge and compass?

Using a straightedge and compass, it is possible to construct basic geometric shapes such as lines, circles, and regular polygons. More complex constructions, such as angle bisectors and perpendicular lines, can also be achieved using this method.

3. Can any geometric figure be constructed using a straightedge and compass?

No, not all geometric figures can be constructed using a straightedge and compass. For example, it is impossible to construct a square with the same area as a given circle using only a straightedge and compass. This is known as the "quadrature of the circle" problem and has been proven to be impossible.

4. What are some practical applications of straightedge and compass constructions?

Straightedge and compass constructions have many practical applications in fields such as architecture, engineering, and art. For example, architects may use these constructions to accurately draw geometric shapes in building designs, while engineers can use them to create precise diagrams and blueprints. Artists may also use these constructions to create symmetrical and geometrically accurate designs.

5. Is there any other method for geometric constructions besides straightedge and compass?

Yes, there are other methods for geometric constructions, such as using a protractor or a compass with markings. However, these methods are not as widely used as the straightedge and compass construction due to their limitations and complexity. Additionally, modern technology, such as computer-aided design (CAD) software, has made geometric constructions much easier and more precise.