Strange vectors question very short

In summary, the discussion is about the correct notation for calculating the length of vector a and the use of dot product in this calculation.
phospho
Question http://gyazo.com/17223631de9dfcbcca00f6b3f8758cb9

I'm talking about part ii)

if ## a = |\vec{BC}| ## then ## a^2 = (\vec{OC} - \vec{OB})^2 ## is this correct?

if we expand a^2 then we get ## a^2 = (\vec{OC})^2 - 2\vec{OC}\vec{OB} + (\vec{OB})^2 ## I don't understand, what is ## 2\vec{OC}\vec{OB}## is it the dot product or what?

Physics news on Phys.org
phospho said:
Question http://gyazo.com/17223631de9dfcbcca00f6b3f8758cb9

I'm talking about part ii)

if ## a = |\vec{BC}| ## then ## a^2 = (\vec{OC} - \vec{OB})^2 ## is this correct?

if we expand a^2 then we get ## a^2 = (\vec{OC})^2 - 2\vec{OC}\vec{OB} + (\vec{OB})^2 ## I don't understand, what is ## 2\vec{OC}\vec{OB}## is it the dot product or what?
The power of 2 in ## (\vec{OC} - \vec{OB})^2 ## indicates the dot product of the vector with itself, so when you expand it all the vector products are dot products.

1. What is a vector in science?

A vector is a mathematical quantity that represents both magnitude and direction. In science, vectors are used to describe the motion and forces of objects.

2. How are strange vectors different from regular vectors?

Strange vectors are a hypothetical concept that are used in theoretical physics to explain phenomena that cannot be explained by regular vectors. They have properties that do not exist in our physical world.

3. What makes a vector "strange"?

A vector is considered strange if it exhibits properties that are not found in normal vectors. This could include having a negative magnitude or direction, or existing in multiple dimensions simultaneously.

4. Are strange vectors used in any real-life applications?

No, strange vectors are purely theoretical and are not used in any practical applications. They are used as a tool to understand complex physics concepts and are not applicable to our physical world.

5. What is the significance of studying strange vectors?

Studying strange vectors can help scientists understand the underlying principles of our universe and how it works. It also allows for the exploration of concepts that may not be possible to observe in our physical world, leading to new discoveries and advancements in science.