Vectors question very shoooort

• Thread starter Questions999
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Vectors
In summary, the conversation discusses using the given information about the modules and the geometrical relationships between the vectors a, b, and c to find the value of a*b+b*c+a*c when a+b+c=0. Suggestions are given to sketch the vectors and use the equations involving angles between vectors to solve the problem.
Questions999
Vectors question very shoooort :D

we have the vectors a ,b and c with the modules a=2,b=5 and c=7. If a+b+c=0 find a*b+b*c+a*c
Now,i tried a+b=-c and replace but i get nothing in the end..any ideas?

Physics news on Phys.org

Elaia06 said:
we have the vectors a ,b and c with the modules a=2,b=5 and c=7. If a+b+c=0 find a*b+b*c+a*c

Hi Elaia!

Perhaps you could try to evaluate (a+b+c)*(a+b+c) and deduce what you can?

Elaia06 said:

It's always a good idea to sketch on paper if you don't know where to start. The first equation gives some key information about the geometrical relationship between a,b,c.

a + b + c = 0

The second equation involves information about the angles between vectors, which would be easy to determine from the sketch above.

a.b + b.c + a.c = 0

But ILikeSerena's solution will get you there the quickest because we aren't talking about one or maybe two angles, but all possible angles between the vectors. That's when you might be inspired to dot the sum of all vectors with itself, which leads to a length squared that you know.

Last edited:

Question 1: What is a vector?

A vector is a mathematical quantity that has both magnitude and direction. It is commonly represented by an arrow, with the length indicating the magnitude and the direction indicating the direction.

Question 2: What are some common applications of vectors?

Vectors are used in many fields, including physics, engineering, and computer graphics. They are commonly used to represent forces, velocities, and other physical quantities in the real world.

Question 3: How do you add or subtract vectors?

To add or subtract vectors, you can use the parallelogram method or the head-to-tail method. In the parallelogram method, you draw the two vectors as adjacent sides of a parallelogram and the resulting vector is the diagonal of the parallelogram. In the head-to-tail method, you draw the vectors end-to-end and the resulting vector is the one connecting the starting point of the first vector to the end point of the last vector.

Question 4: What is a unit vector?

A unit vector is a vector with a magnitude of 1 and is used to indicate direction. It is commonly denoted with a hat, such as u^, to distinguish it from regular vectors.

Question 5: How do you calculate the dot product and cross product of two vectors?

The dot product of two vectors is the product of their magnitudes and the cosine of the angle between them. It is calculated by multiplying the corresponding components of the two vectors and then adding the results together. The cross product of two vectors is a vector that is perpendicular to both of the original vectors and has a magnitude equal to the product of their magnitudes and the sine of the angle between them. It is calculated by using the determinant of a 3x3 matrix composed of the components of the two vectors.