Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Medical Strange virus kills 30 people in Ukraine.

1. Oct 31, 2009 #1
    http://www.cidrap.umn.edu/cidrap/content/influenza/swineflu/news/oct3009ukraine.html

First the west nile virus, then SARS, bird flu, then the swine flu, and now this strange virus. It seems that there is a new type of deadly disease popping up somewhere in the world every few years. More so in the past decade than any other point in all of history. Ukrainian medical officials have confirmed that this virus is not the H1N1 "swine" flu virus. The identity of the virus is still unclear.

Where are all these diseases coming from? Why so many so quick? What the heck is going on?! What's next?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 31, 2009 #2

Borek

Staff: Mentor

My bet is that nothing qualitatively new happens, we are just much better at detecting. Things that 30 years ago would slip as unexplained/separated now are getting recognized.

4. Nov 2, 2009 #3
    Not like this...

5. Nov 2, 2009 #4

russ_watters

Not sure about the others but swine flu certainly isn't new.

6. Nov 2, 2009 #5

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Read up on the virial theorem. :smile:

7. Nov 2, 2009 #6

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Borek's correct that emerging diseases are noticed much earlier now, but http://www.cdc.gov/eid/content/15/11/1713.htm" [Broken]. Sure, humans have always been mobile, but planes, trains, ships, and cars make moving around the globe much quicker than it used to be.

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  8. Nov 2, 2009 #7

Borek

I have not mentioned it to not complicate the picture :smile:

Besides, just because the pathogens are spread faster doesn't mean they appear more frequently. Could be they do - larger population means more occasions for virus to 'jump' to humans and more occasions to evolve - but I still think we are talking about the same mechanisms that existed earlier, no qualitative, only quantitative changes.

9. Nov 3, 2009 #8
    Apparently, this virus in Ukraine is NOT the H1N1 "swine" flu virus. It is an entirely different virus all together. Which has me very concerned.

10. Nov 3, 2009 #9

russ_watters

According to the article, that is nowhere near confirmed. But you did incorrectly state that swine flu was "new".
    Why? Even if that virus is new, new viruses aren't new. So what is the big deal? Take SARS for example. It infected some 8,000 people and killed 774 over two years. That's grossly out of proportion to the panic it caused. More people die in car accidents every week in the US than that!

11. Nov 3, 2009 #10
    It's fear of the unknown - a lack of control.

12. Nov 3, 2009 #11

Borek

I agree with the general sentiment of your post - but you've lost me here :bugeye:

13. Nov 4, 2009 #12

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I see no evidence that the outbreak is anything other than H1N1. Closed.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook