Strength comparison of Para/Dia-magnetism

In summary, the question is about which substance weighs less when weighted in a magnetic field. The options are SnCl3, FeCl3, TiCl3, and VCl3. The answer given by the institute is A, but the person discussing the question believes it should be B based on the cation's electronic configuration. They also mention that diamagnetism is a rare effect compared to paramagnetism and that Fe3+ is a good paramagnet due to its 5 unpaired electrons. The question raises a dilemma about which property is more profound and can cause a substance to appear to weigh less in a magnetic field.
AGNuke
Gold Member
Which one of the following weighs less when weighted in magnetic field?

A>SnCl3
B>FeCl3
C>TiCl3
D>VCl3

This is the question I encountered in my Chemistry Olympiad. While I went with B, my institute published answer as A.

What I deduced is that A is diamagnetic while the rest are paramagnetic, if we look at the respective cation's electronic configuration.

If I am right, diamagnetism is the virtue of every substance and thus, it is rare to observe its effect compared to paramagnetism. I also think that Fe3+ is a good paramagnet, owing to 5 unpaired electrons.

This question poses one dilemma - which property is more profound. Obviously, whatever effect is more profound can cause the substance to react to magnetic field and give apparent weight less than actual weight. (Magnetic field supposedly set that way)

Physics news on Phys.org
You sure that A) wasn't SnCl3-?

No. All the species were neutral. But I don't think that diamagnetism is as profound effect as paramagnetism.

1. What is the difference between para-magnetism and dia-magnetism?

Para-magnetism is a property of certain materials where they are weakly attracted to a magnetic field. Dia-magnetism, on the other hand, is the property of materials where they are weakly repelled by a magnetic field.

2. How does the strength of the magnetic field affect para-magnetic and dia-magnetic materials?

The strength of the magnetic field has a greater effect on para-magnetic materials compared to dia-magnetic materials. Para-magnetic materials become more strongly attracted to the field as the strength increases, while dia-magnetic materials become more weakly repelled.

3. Which materials are considered para-magnetic and dia-magnetic?

Some common examples of para-magnetic materials include aluminum, platinum, and oxygen. Dia-magnetic materials include substances like copper, gold, and water.

4. How is the strength of para-magnetism and dia-magnetism measured?

The strength of para-magnetism and dia-magnetism can be measured using a magnetic susceptibility meter. This device measures the magnetic response of a material to an external magnetic field.

5. Can the strength of para-magnetism and dia-magnetism be altered?

Yes, the strength of para-magnetism and dia-magnetism can be altered by changing the temperature or the surrounding environment. For example, heating a para-magnetic material can decrease its magnetic response, while cooling a dia-magnetic material can increase its magnetic response.