String Theory and Eternal Inflation

In summary: However, there are other alternative theories such as loop quantum gravity and entropic gravity that also offer potential explanations without committing to the multiverse concept. Ultimately, the lack of a solid foundation for string theory and the potential for other theories to offer similar explanations raises doubts about the validity of the connection between string theory and the multiverse.
dm4b
I've been hearing that String Theory tied to eternal inflation seems to be providing support for the multiverse. But, I'm missing something with this connection.

(1) Eternal inflation seems to "predict" a truly infinite number of other Universes or, at least as time progresses, a limit tending towards a truly infinite number of Universes.

(2) String Theory had a problem related to how the particular shape of the Calabai-Yau space of the extra compactified dimensions determines the "properties of the Universe". The problem being that there are on the order of 10^500 possible shapes and nothing in the theory saying which shape to pick, as valid for our Universe. So, I believe it's being claimed that String Theory is pointing to a multiverse, with all 10^500 shapes valid, each for a different Universe.

Assuming (1) and (2) are correct, I don't see the "rock solid" connection here.

As Carl Sagan showed us in Cosmos, a googleplex (10^100^100) is as close to infinity, as the number 1 is.

Now, 10^500 is much smaller than a googleplex, so it seems to me that String Theory is predicting a number that is MUCH smaller than eternal inflation seems to "predict", or at least allow.

So, is it just me, or does this whole business seem a bit contrived, and without a very solid foundation?

Space news on Phys.org
String 'theory' is a work in progress. It makes no useful predictions, so, it is no more than a hypothesis in my mind.

dm4b said:
I've been hearing that String Theory tied to eternal inflation seems to be providing support for the multiverse. But, I'm missing something with this connection.

(1) Eternal inflation seems to "predict" a truly infinite number of other Universes or, at least as time progresses, a limit tending towards a truly infinite number of Universes.

(2) String Theory had a problem related to how the particular shape of the Calabai-Yau space of the extra compactified dimensions determines the "properties of the Universe". The problem being that there are on the order of 10^500 possible shapes and nothing in the theory saying which shape to pick, as valid for our Universe. So, I believe it's being claimed that String Theory is pointing to a multiverse, with all 10^500 shapes valid, each for a different Universe.

As Carl Sagan showed us in Cosmos, a googleplex (10^100^100) is as close to infinity, as the number 1 is.

Now, 10^500 is much smaller than a googleplex, so it seems to me that String Theory is predicting a number that is MUCH smaller than eternal inflation seems to "predict", or at least allow.

So, is it just me, or does this whole business seem a bit contrived, and without a very solid foundation?

String theory is a Theory Of Nothing (TON). It says nothing about our universe.

The multiverse is a non-scientific hypothesis.

No doubt I lean towards what you guys are saying.

But, unfortunately, this is being touted as the next possible "revolution" in physics, and I sure don't see any better ideas right now.

dm4b said:

The primary takeaway here is that string theory predicts a large number of different ways that the universe can be, and that when you have eternal inflation, there is a mechanism by which all of these various possibilities are explored. So you have a prolific theory: a theory that predicts that all of these 10^500 possibilities come about.

dm4b said:
No doubt I lean towards what you guys are saying.

But, unfortunately, this is being touted as the next possible "revolution" in physics, and I sure don't see any better ideas right now.
I don't think anybody within physics touts it as the next "revolution". But string theory is generally considered to be an extremely interesting, sometimes even likely, possibility. The main reason why there is so much excitement over string theory is because it predicts quantum gravity: quantum gravity just falls right out of the equations.

So when you have a theory from which the solution to the most challenging unsolved problem in physics just falls out of the theory automatically, well, that is an exceedingly compelling result.

juanrga said:
The multiverse is a non-scientific hypothesis.

Strangely enough, that isn't true. If you have a bizillion universes then you can start doing statistics and make falsifible statements.

dm4b said:

Loop quantum gravity. Entropic gravity. There are also some theory independent principles that you can use to make some predictions without having to commit yourself to a particular theory.

twofish-quant said:
Strangely enough, that isn't true. If you have a bizillion universes then you can start doing statistics and make falsifible statements.
Unfortunately, in practice this often ends up being a difficult proposition, because if you have an infinite number of universes, there's no unique way of doing the probabilities. But I don't think it's an unsolvable problem: already there have been significant strides forward made with respect to the holographic universe.

Chalnoth said:
I don't think anybody within physics touts it as the next "revolution".

Brian Greene?

dm4b said:
Brian Greene?
Do you have any specific examples? Because I'd be a bit surprised if he used wording like this. Somewhat less surprised if it's a popular outlet (scientists unfortunately have a tendency to sort of "spice up" scientific topics when talking to popular audiences).

dm4b said:

This is what serious physicists call just hype.

twofish-quant said:

Except that mental statistics in thought experiments do not count as scientific... as even string theorists do not cease to emphasize.

dm4b said:
Brian Greene?

Well, I would not take his views seriously... :wink:

Chalnoth said:
Do you have any specific examples? Because I'd be a bit surprised if he used wording like this. Somewhat less surprised if it's a popular outlet (scientists unfortunately have a tendency to sort of "spice up" scientific topics when talking to popular audiences).

Yep, that was kinda my point. And, that is just where he said this last - his latest popsci show, based off his latest book.

But, what's the big deal on the wording, really?

If the multiverse turns out to be true, this would be HUGE. I don't think calling it "revolutionary" would be unreasonable, at that point.

He's just doing it too early, and that's what we should have issue with, imho.

What is String Theory and how does it relate to Eternal Inflation?

String Theory is a theoretical framework in physics that attempts to reconcile quantum mechanics and general relativity. It suggests that the fundamental building blocks of the universe are not particles, but rather one-dimensional strings. Eternal Inflation is a concept within cosmology that suggests the universe is constantly expanding and creating new universes. String Theory and Eternal Inflation are related because string theory can help explain the mechanism behind the rapid expansion of the universe during inflation.

What is the evidence for String Theory and Eternal Inflation?

Currently, there is no direct evidence for String Theory or Eternal Inflation. However, some predictions of String Theory, such as the existence of extra dimensions and the properties of certain particles, have been supported by experimental data. Evidence for Eternal Inflation comes from observations of the cosmic microwave background radiation and the distribution of galaxies in the universe.

What are the criticisms of String Theory and Eternal Inflation?

One of the main criticisms of String Theory is that it has yet to make any testable predictions. Additionally, there are several competing versions of string theory, making it difficult to determine which, if any, is the correct one. The criticisms of Eternal Inflation center around the lack of direct evidence and the difficulty in testing the theory.

What are the implications of String Theory and Eternal Inflation?

If String Theory is proven to be correct, it would provide a unified framework for understanding all of the fundamental forces and particles in the universe. It could also potentially lead to the development of new technologies. Eternal Inflation, if proven to be true, would have significant implications for our understanding of the origin and structure of the universe.

What is the current state of research on String Theory and Eternal Inflation?

String Theory and Eternal Inflation are both active areas of research in theoretical physics and cosmology. Scientists are continually working to develop new mathematical models and theories to test and refine these ideas. While there is still much to be discovered, the research in these fields has already led to many significant insights and advancements in our understanding of the universe.