Stromgren photometric data in Vizier

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of a photometric transform from a book and the availability of magnitudes in catalogs for this transform. The Paunzen and Hauck catalogs only provide indices, not the necessary magnitudes. The conversation also mentions the possibility of using the SIMBAD catalog, which does have magnitudes in BVGJHK bands for a large number of stars. However, there is confusion about the use of Stromgren uvby photometry and the difference between capital V and lowercase v.
yucheng
TL;DR Summary
Is there a catalog in Vizier that provides Stromgren photometric data for stars, (the all four uvby, not just the indices b-y, m and c)
I would like to try the photometric transform given in my book, for instance ##V = y - 0.12[(b-y) - 0.55]^2##, however, the two catalogs I've consulted, Paunzen, 2015 and Hauck, 1997 only provides the indices. Do these catalogs provide the uvby magnitudes as well, just hidden somewhere? Are there any catalogs that would provide the above photometric magnitudes? Thanks!

Astronomy news on Phys.org
yucheng said:
Yes I am aware of that. But...
Just thought I'd point it out. Sorry, I don't know where to find Stromgren uvby photometry.

Maybe I'm confused, but it looks like the Paunzen catalog gives v, b-y, and m1=(v-b)-(b-y). Can't you solve those for v, b, and y? Similarly, it gives c1=(u-v)-(v-b), so this gives you u given v, c1, and b.

Edit: Or is V not the same as v?

Last edited:
phyzguy said:
Just thought I'd point it out. Sorry, I don't know where to find Stromgren uvby photometry.
That's alright.
phyzguy said:
Maybe I'm confused, but it looks like the Paunzen catalog gives v, b-y, and m1=(v-b)-(b-y). Can't you solve those for v, b, and y? Similarly, it gives c1=(u-v)-(v-b), so this gives you u given v, c1, and b.

Edit: Or is V not the same as v?
I am not very sure, but I think capital V is the Johnson V, not Stromgren v:

Clicking Vmag,
Mean V magnitude
UCD:
PHOT_JHN_V = Johnson magnitude V (JHN)

I think you're right. Oh well, I'm obviously not helping.

phyzguy said:
I think you're right. Oh well, I'm obviously not helping.
That's alright! I appreciate your effort and time! Thanks!

1. What is Stromgren photometric data?

Stromgren photometric data is a type of photometric data that is obtained using filters designed by Bengt Strömgren. These filters are used to measure the brightness of stars at specific wavelengths, which can provide information about the chemical composition and temperature of the stars.

2. What is Vizier?

Vizier is a database service provided by the Centre de Données astronomiques de Strasbourg (CDS) that allows users to access various astronomical catalogs and data sets. It is commonly used by astronomers to search for and retrieve data from published research.

3. How can I access Stromgren photometric data in Vizier?

To access Stromgren photometric data in Vizier, you can go to the Vizier website and search for specific catalogs or data sets using keywords such as "Stromgren" or "Bengt Strömgren". You can also use the advanced search options to filter your results by specific parameters.

4. What types of information can be found in Stromgren photometric data?

Stromgren photometric data can provide information about the chemical composition and temperature of stars, as well as their distance, luminosity, and variability. It can also be used to study the properties of star clusters and galaxies.

5. How is Stromgren photometric data useful for scientific research?

Stromgren photometric data is useful for scientific research because it provides information about the physical properties of stars, which can help us understand their evolution and formation. It can also be used to study the structure and dynamics of galaxies, as well as to identify and classify different types of stars.