Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

B 'Strong signal' from sun-like star sparks alien speculation

1. Aug 31, 2016 #1

Garth

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Hear me now? 'Strong signal' from sun-like star sparks alien speculation
    Interesting.....

Wait though
    With only one signal you just can't tell, and it certainly doesn't come up to scratch as "Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.". It might have been just the cleaner in the next room turning on the vacuum cleaner.... :wink:

Garth

Last edited: Sep 1, 2016
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 31, 2016 #2

Borg

Gold Member

Saw this on the news last night. They had constant teasers saying that it was an alien signal, then on the actual segment, they finally stated that experts said that it was highly unlikely. I'm betting on the gravitational lensing probability.

4. Aug 31, 2016 #3
    The media likes to dangle the alien carrot a lot. I guess it's the way humans project their desperate need of finding out if we are alone unto every anomalous flash of light in the sky.

5. Aug 31, 2016 #4
    The signal is 'coming from the vicinity' so they don't have the exact angle pegged down so it could be from another star or more likely, a reflection of something manmade at 11 Ghz, a kind of unlikely frequency for interstellar communications. They also must not have published the exact frequency because the other researchers mentioned 'we don't know the right frequency' so they have to hunt and peck around to find anything.

11 Ghz is suspiciously close to man made radar and planetary probe frequencies so it could just be a signal bouncing off a moon or satellite. News at 11 I guess.

If the frequency turns out to be say, 11.01100000 Ghz, the number alone would indicate human origin.

It would be more speculative if it was say 11.023210090022 Ghz or some such.

6. Aug 31, 2016 #5
    The WOW! signal was also speculated to be of man-made origin. I think they even asked the military, but they never fessed up.

7. Aug 31, 2016 #6
    From the Wiki article:
    "Astronomer Nicholas Suntzeff of Texas A&M University stated that the signal is in a military frequency band, and that it could have been a satellite downlink, implying that some such systems may be kept secret and therefore would be unknown to SETI scientists."
    Sounds like a plausible explanation right there. To receive such a strong signal, wouldn't an "alien civilization" have to deliberately direct it at us? That would mean they would have to be aware of our presence. Given the distance of a little over 94 light years, that seems unlikely.

8. Aug 31, 2016 #7

Chronos

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

How might an alien civilization 94 light years away be aware of our existence given our inability to generate a reasonably detectable signal over such distances 94 years ago?

9. Aug 31, 2016 #8

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

is in amongst the satellite TV band ... 11 - 12 GHz is used for the local oscillator in the LNA down converters

Why ? I strongly disagree with that
    Any tech advanced society would use rounded numbers

That is more likely to be a naturally generated signal

Dave

10. Aug 31, 2016 #9

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

But their "second" will likely be different from ours... :wink:

11. Aug 31, 2016 #10

1oldman2

Gold Member

12. Aug 31, 2016 #11

OCR

I think so... in the Ku band.

When we first splurged for "good TV", we had to buy two BUDs that used C-Band... it wasn't a bad system, it was all remote controlled from our houses, and every thing ( except the initial purchase; dishes and receivers were about $3,000, or more ? ... apiece ) including "feeds" , was free.... :oldcool:

Of course broadcasters couldn't stand that, so after awhile we had to buy these damn things .... :oldgrumpy:

Lol, I went of topic a bit... and we don't use the system anymore, but they are still standing... here's picture.

DSCF1140.JPG

Last edited: Aug 31, 2016
  13. Sep 1, 2016 #12
    @OCR My Grandfather had one of those too. As you say, it worked ok for a while before they scrambled everything. It went along with his house when we sold it, a curiosity more than anything else.

14. Sep 1, 2016 #13

Ken G

Gold Member

I think you mean 188 years ago! But I believe the idea is, the aliens in question would not know we are here, they would merely see us as a good candidate and would be sending signals like that to all the good candidates. Not that this signal is anything special, I'm sure they've detected many signals like this in the past, that never amounted to anything. It must have been a slow news cycle.

15. Sep 1, 2016 #14
    You meant 188 years ago.

I think it's most likely a military signal. I keep hearing strong candidate. What exactly about it makes it a strong candidate? What is a strong candidate? From the distance, it's not possible that they are aware that we are a radio civilization and have sent us a response. That means that for some reason they decided to target a (to them) pre-industrial planet. Or they sent it out in all directions which would require a level II civilization. Or, we just happened to be in the middle of a signal, whats in the exact opposite position of the sky?

Things like this has got me thinking though. How many real signals will we detect before we will even be able to verify one? I imagine a inventor in a small isolated island tribe learning how to do radio communications. They'd likely detect a lot of noise from our global civilization before they realized what it was. They'd get intermittent signals from boats or planes that constantly move so can never be verified. An interstellar civilization would likely appear fairly quite unless you're directly between two "hubs." If humans set up a colony around the Barnard star, you will not be able to hear anything if listening from Alpha Centauri. You'd hear pretty much dead silence unless you happened to get right in between the stars at which point you'd probably get a deluge.

16. Sep 1, 2016 #15

Chronos

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Ageed. I neglected to allow for the light travel time for response to any signal already 94 years old when received by the 'aliens'.

17. Sep 1, 2016 #16
    Yes, most ancient civilization observed planets in our solar system and immediately concluded that they were indications of other life, even gods.

18. Sep 2, 2016 #17

OCR

Uh... how old are you ?..:olduhh: ... lol.

19. Sep 2, 2016 #18
    No so much old as Ye Olde. ;)
    He bought his is the early 1980's as I recall. By about 1989 or so it couldn't really pick up much anymore.

20. Sep 6, 2016 #19
    They (if there is a they) could be doing the same thing we are. Sending and listening for signals in different sections of the universe.

21. Sep 6, 2016 #20

Garth

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Sending signals might turn out to be a pretty risky business, you never know who might turn up!

Having said that we have been broadcasting powerful radio and tv transmissions into the aether for some time now (not to HD 164595 though).... wait, on second thoughts that explains why nobody has bothered to answer. :wink:

Garth

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted