STRUCTURE-FLUID interaction (and not the contrary) with Comsol

In summary, the author found an absurd situation where if he sets the boundary conditions for the fluid-structure wall at the time derivative of solid displacements, the fluid will not be disturbed, but if he sets the solid displacements directly, the model will converge rapidly. However, dimensionally, this approach is absurd because the forces applied to the fluid are small.
sunset451
Hi,
I've got a strange doubt.I model an elastic diaghfram that move water in piping system (a simple pump) so I've got used the 3D FSI multiphicis. Note that in Comsol's examples is the fluid that move the solid structure: i use the same procedure but for the opposite case.
I create a simple geometry with a thin elastic rectangular solid (the diaghpram) directly attached on a cube(the fluid subdomain). I set on solid fixed constrains on four laterals buondaries and a surface load on upper wall.

So I've found an absurd: if i leave the default setting on the boundary condition on the fluid-structure wall (that corrisponding at the "structural velocity" time derivates of solid displacements (ut,vt,wt) ) the fluid doesn't see the perturbation.
BUT if in the same field i set DIRECTLY the SOLID DISPLACEMENTS (u,v,w) the model works perfectly and it rapidly converge. BUT Dimensionally is an absurd, why it works? Please help me to understand.

Engineering news on Phys.org
sunset451 said:
Hi,
I've got a strange doubt.I model an elastic diaghfram that move water in piping system (a simple pump) so I've got used the 3D FSI multiphicis. Note that in Comsol's examples is the fluid that move the solid structure: i use the same procedure but for the opposite case.
I create a simple geometry with a thin elastic rectangular solid (the diaghpram) directly attached on a cube(the fluid subdomain). I set on solid fixed constrains on four laterals buondaries and a surface load on upper wall.

So I've found an absurd: if i leave the default setting on the boundary condition on the fluid-structure wall (that corrisponding at the "structural velocity" time derivates of solid displacements (ut,vt,wt) ) the fluid doesn't see the perturbation.
BUT if in the same field i set DIRECTLY the SOLID DISPLACEMENTS (u,v,w) the model works perfectly and it rapidly converge. BUT Dimensionally is an absurd, why it works? Please help me to understand.

I was in error... for activate the fluid motion i set to the interface a pressure type boundary condition with (Tax_smsld,Tay_smsld,Taz_smsld)...so now the problem is that the fluid is strongly turbulent and the solution converge only for too small force applied to the diagphram... i need to understand the "artificial diffusion" options.please help me.

Hello my friend,

In my case I´m trying to simulate the flow paths of a gearbox with a pair of spur gears... Right now I´ve been trying to follow two directions... rotating machinery module on chemical engineering and fluid-structure interaction on Structural mechanics... works fine for chemical module but it will be difficult to simulate a gear pair with that approach... and on the last one I haven´t been able to simulate fluid movement due to the gears... Can you explain me if you could fix and get fluid movement due to a solid body?

Thanks in advance !
Jesus

1. What is the importance of studying structure-fluid interaction in Comsol?

Studying structure-fluid interaction is crucial in various engineering and scientific fields, such as aerospace, civil engineering, and biomedical engineering. This interaction occurs when a solid structure interacts with a surrounding fluid, and understanding it can help in optimizing design, improving performance, and predicting behavior.

2. How does Comsol handle structure-fluid interaction?

Comsol is a multiphysics simulation software that allows for the coupling of different physics phenomena, including structure-fluid interaction. It uses the finite element method to solve the governing equations for both the solid and fluid domains, and a coupling algorithm ensures the exchange of information between the two domains.

3. What are some common applications of structure-fluid interaction in Comsol?

Some common applications of structure-fluid interaction in Comsol include fluid-structure interaction in offshore structures, heat transfer in heat exchangers, and blood flow in cardiovascular devices. It can also be used to study the behavior of structures under wind or water loads, such as buildings and bridges.

4. Can Comsol simulate multiphase flow in structure-fluid interaction?

Yes, Comsol has the capability to simulate multiphase flow, such as gas-liquid or solid-liquid interactions, in structure-fluid problems. This is useful in applications such as sediment transport, oil-water separation, and bubbly flow in pipes.

5. What are some challenges in simulating structure-fluid interaction with Comsol?

One of the main challenges in simulating structure-fluid interaction with Comsol is accurately modeling the interface between the solid and fluid domains. This requires careful selection of mesh size and type, as well as choosing appropriate boundary conditions and material properties. Additionally, the coupling between the two domains can be computationally intensive, so efficient methods must be used to reduce simulation time.