1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Stuck on an Empirical Formula Problem

1. Sep 18, 2012 #1
    Pyridine is recovered from coke-oven gases and is used extensively in the chemical industry, in particular, in the synthesis of vitamins and drugs. Pyridine contains carbon, hydrogen, and nitrogen. A 0.546 g sample was burned to produce 1.518 g of carbon dioxide and 0.311 g of water. Determine the empirical formula of pyridine.

Please show me step by step. I can't seem to figure this out.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 19, 2012 #2

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Show what you have tried. How many moles of carbon in the sample? Of hydrogen? Of nitrogen?

4. Sep 19, 2012 #3
    By using the masses given, I was able to find that for every H2O that is created, there will be 2 CO2 created. I do not know anything about the nitrogen because nothing is said about it in the question. Also, the mass given for the pyridine does me no good because I do not know the formula for it. So far my pyridine is C?H?N?.

5. Sep 19, 2012 #4

Borek

What is mass of carbon in CO2? Hydrogen in H2O? Can you use this information to calculate mass of nitrogen?

6. Sep 19, 2012 #5
    Thank you so much. That was all I needed. Problem solved.

7. Sep 19, 2012 #6

Borek

You are welcome.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook