How to find empirical formula from combustion equation

In summary, the organic solvent thiophene is a compound made of carbon, hydrogen, and sulfur that produces CO2, H2O, and SO2 when burned with excess oxygen. By analyzing the combustion, it was found that a 1.3020g sample produced 2.7244g CO2, 0.5575g H2O, and 0.99151g SO2. From this, the empirical formula of thiophene can be determined by finding the percentage of each element and calculating their atomic ratio.
RockenNS42

Homework Statement

The organic solvent thiophene is a carbon-hydrogen-sulfur compound that makes C02, H20 AND S02 when burned in excess Oxygen. When subject to combustion analysis, a 1.3020g sample makes 2.7244 g CO2, .5575G H20 and .99151 SO2. Find the empirical formula of thiophene

Homework Equations

None?

The Attempt at a Solution

so first i wrote out the combustion

Thiophene + O2 <> CO2+ H20+SO2 but i can't balance it yet

I then found the amount of moles the compunts on teh right side

CO2= 2.772g/44.009g/mol = .06186 moles / .00309 ~ 20 mol
H20= .5575g/18.019g/mol= .00309mole / .00309 = 1 mol
SO2=.9915g/64.045g/mol = .01548 mole / .00309 ~5 mol

therefore

Thiophene + O2 <> 20(CO2)+ H20+5(SO2)

\

But I have no idea where to go from here, anyone have any hints?

Physics news on Phys.org
first try to find the percentage of carbon from CO2 and hydrogen from h20 and sulphur from so2 then calculae percentage of oxygen from it.
now find mole of each element from its percentage .then find its atomic ratio.this would give the value o empirical formula.

zainriaz said:
first try to find the percentage of carbon from CO2 and hydrogen from h20 and sulphur from so2 then calculae percentage of oxygen from it.
now find mole of each element from its percentage .then find its atomic ratio.this would give the value o empirical formula.

thank you very much! I get it know :)

1. What is an empirical formula?

An empirical formula is the simplest whole number ratio of atoms present in a compound. It represents the relative number of atoms of each element in a compound.

2. How do I determine the empirical formula from a combustion equation?

To find the empirical formula from a combustion equation, you need to first balance the equation and then use the coefficients of the balanced equation to determine the ratio of atoms present. This ratio will give you the empirical formula.

3. Can I use the mass of the elements to find the empirical formula?

Yes, you can use the mass of the elements to find the empirical formula. You will need to convert the mass of each element into moles and then determine the ratio of moles present in the compound to find the empirical formula.

4. Do I need to know the molecular formula to find the empirical formula?

No, you do not need to know the molecular formula to find the empirical formula. The empirical formula is the simplest ratio of atoms present in a compound and can be determined using the combustion equation and the masses of the elements.

5. How can I verify the accuracy of my calculated empirical formula?

You can verify the accuracy of your calculated empirical formula by using the molar mass of the compound. If the calculated empirical formula is correct, the molar mass of the compound should match the molar mass calculated using the empirical formula.