Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Stuck on inverse fourier transform pair

1. Jul 17, 2011 #1
    I have been trying to solve the inverse fourier transform:

[itex]\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}\left[e^{-j2\pi ft_0}e^{j\theta}\right]e^{j2\pi ft}df[/itex]

I know that the fourier transform pair says

[itex]e^{-j2\pi ft_0}e^{j\theta} \leftrightarrow \delta(t-t_0)[/itex]

but the extra phase term [itex]e^{j\theta}[/itex] makes it so I can't use this pair. Can I just consider it a constant? If so, then it gives me a weird time based function of an imaginary number.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 17, 2011 #2
    Yes, [itex]e^{j\theta}[/itex] is independent of f (unless there's something you're not telling us), so you can just pull it out of the integral. I don't understand why you say it gives you "a weird time based function of an imaginary number." It gives you [itex]e^{j\theta}\delta\left(t-t_0\right)[/itex], which is just the delta function multiplied by a phase factor (assuming theta is real), with maybe a factor of [itex]\frac{1}{\sqrt{2\pi}}[/itex] or something like that.

4. Jul 17, 2011 #3
    Yes, but this phase factor has an imaginary component for any angle that is not a whole multiple of 0 or pi. I know what this phase means for my application, but I don't understand how a time function can have an imaginary component. In Euler's formula, there are imaginary components, but they always cancel out to a real value, and in this case they don't.

5. Jul 17, 2011 #4
    Why shouldn't a function of time have an imaginary part? It all depends on the application. Sometimes you're calculating something that, because of the physics it represents, must be a real number, and in those cases the imaginary parts must indeed cancel out. But you say that you know what the phase means for your application, which (correct me if I misunderstand) means that for your purposes, complex numbers do have a physical meaning. This is not uncommon, actually.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook