Students' Complaint Gets Prof Fired

• Thread starter gleem
  • Start date
gleem
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
The average life expectancy of males in the US is 74.

What does this have to do with an individual?

What age do professors usually retire?

Any time they wish. It is against fed law to mandate a retirement age for them.

Work till you die if you want, but don’t tell me being that age doesn’t slow you down. I’ve had professors in the 70s, they were less than energetic, and that is a problem.

Yes, why not if they are physically and mentally able.

So why is being less than energetic a problem? Perhaps they must sing and dance for their students too?

Likes hutchphd, BillTre and Bystander
erobz
Gold Member
Yes, why not if they are physically and mentally able.

So why is being less than energetic a problem? Perhaps they must sing and dance for their students too?
I personally experienced the opposite of this NYU professor. The professor of my Power and Machinery Course was well past his time. Was he nice...yeah. Was he energetic...no. Was he able...sure. He sat there and read slides directly from the book the entire class for a semester. Never once worked a problem the entire semester. The tests were absolutely trivial (no problems-he literally would answer the test questions if you asked during the exam - it was the Twilight Zone), easiest ##A## I ever had, and no one learned a darn thing...that is a fact. This was a class we were taking (most of us) in our final year as ME's. It was an important class, and it was a complete waste of time.

Is that fair to paying students? Do you honestly think that most student truly care that they were just being handed a grade? I got news for you, they don't...so that tired old professor just keeps on robbing people of the chance to learn, because they won't just call it quits.

What I think had happened (in parallel to his age) is the university had pressured him to go easier on us over the years. By the time I had got there he just had completely given up.

Last edited:
Office_Shredder
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
.So why is being less than energetic a problem? Perhaps they must sing and dance for their students too?
. If that's what the school demands, maybe? This is the generation of tik tok. The requirements for teaching have changed, as sad as that may make you and I feel.

gleem
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
If that's what the school demands, maybe? This is the generation of tik tok. The requirements for teaching have changed, as sad as that may make you and I feel.

Yeah, that's what I am afraid is happening. But I hope the good schools will not. Remember, the "Safe zones" students wanted when they were too stressed to deal with controversial issues. While some relented and did so others said "no way" we promote free discussions of such issues.

What I think . . .
What I think is that one case proves nothing and should not be the basis of your prognostication on the effect or correlation of age on the in-class performance of another teacher even if cognitive decline is correlated with age.

This was a class we were taking (most of us) in our final year as ME's. It was an important class, and it was a complete waste of time
In my experience, easy or hard classes for that matter classes are known by students well in advance. Did student complain though.

erobz
Gold Member
In my experience, easy or hard classes for that matter classes are known by students well in advance. Did student complain though.
Power and Machinery was not supposed to be easy, and it was not an elective for ME's. Of course they didn't complain, why would they? Everyone who simply showed up got A's and B's without doing a stitch of work. The phrase "Never look a gift horse in the mouth" comes to mind.

Imagine if we went to the administration complaining that we all got A's, and didn't have to do any work! :oldlaugh:

hutchphd
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
2022 Award
Imagine if we went to the administration complaining that we all got A's, and didn't have to do any work! :oldlaugh:
Imagine.
I Imagine the dean would have listened to you. Or the departmant chair. Or your advisor. Better to shut up than consider the larger picture?

erobz
Gold Member
Imagine.
I Imagine the dean would have listened to you. Or the departmant chair. Or your advisor. Better to shut up than consider the larger picture?
As a student, even an adult one you don't have much free time to consider the bigger picture with 18 credits to contend with. Did I think it was wrong at the time, sure. But was I going to "be the bad guy" make more work for myself and everyone else...no, we were all stressed as it was. Everyone at that point is just trying to graduate and get a job.

I don't know if it was purely his age that was the problem, or if it was just because of his age that he did not want to play the administrative games anymore (Perhaps he just lashed out by giving the university what it wanted - going easy on us - to a fault). Either way, we didn't get what we paid for in that lecture. I don't see how you can turn this around on me. I was just treading water then, another book on my head and I might have drowned myself.

Last edited:

Suggested for: Students' Complaint Gets Prof Fired

• Last Post
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
  • Last Post