Studing physics at 33 years old

In summary, the speaker apologizes for their English and explains that they left their studies due to financial and family issues. Now at 33 years old, they want to pursue a degree in Physics with a focus on astronomy at the University of Bern. They are concerned about their age and lack of experience, but are also interested in starting their own business or working in research and development. Another person shares a story about a teacher who started their PhD at 32 and received recognition for their work. They suggest considering engineering and part-time study as options for future careers.
Dernailer
Hi!

First I apologise for my english, I don't write to much...

I live in Swiss, and i have startet study at the epfl, but some money
and family problem stopped my studies... so in 2002 i left the epfl and have worked a little. Now I m 33 and i would like to start my studies again in the university of Bern, in Physics (with astronomy direction). I can reach easily the
bachelor in 3 years... but after? another 2 years for the master... and then?

I know I'm (perhaps) too old, but i would like to start my own business...
or work as r&d.

But starting working at 38... would be hard...because i m laking of experience...

Thaks for yours troughs and your comments

à bientôt
Ivan

Physics news on Phys.org
A teacher in Nuclear physics examed when he was 32 years old, then started his PhD-school. 10years later, he received a medal from the King of sweden for his work in nuclear physics. This was like 15 years ago.. it is not to late.

Or consider studying engineering because it is easier to work in the field afterwards.

it is never too late if you have enough wit.
may consider part-time study if you are worried about careers

What are the benefits of studying physics at 33 years old?

Studying physics at 33 years old can offer a unique perspective as you have likely gained life experiences and critical thinking skills that can enhance your understanding of complex concepts. Additionally, it can open up career opportunities in fields such as engineering, research, and education.

Will my age hinder my ability to learn physics?

No, age is not a determining factor in one's ability to learn physics. In fact, studies have shown that older learners can often have a deeper understanding of complex concepts due to their life experiences and critical thinking skills.

Can I balance studying physics with other responsibilities?

Yes, it is possible to balance studying physics with other responsibilities such as work and family. Many universities offer flexible schedules and online courses to accommodate adult learners. It may require good time management and dedication, but it is possible to successfully balance both.

What resources are available for adult learners studying physics?

Many universities offer resources specifically for adult learners, such as study groups, tutoring, and academic counseling. Online resources, such as video lectures and practice problems, are also widely available. Additionally, reaching out to professors and peers for support and guidance can be helpful.

Will I be at a disadvantage compared to younger students?

No, age does not determine one's ability to succeed in physics. Each individual brings their own unique set of skills and experiences to the field. With dedication and hard work, success in physics is achievable at any age.