Studying AdS/CFT: Advice for Beginners with No CFT/SUSY Background

In summary, the conversation revolved around the speaker's desire to learn more about AdS/CFT correspondence, specifically in relation to Witten's papers. They mention not having a background in CFT or SUSY and ask for suggestions on lecture notes or books. They mention finding Nastase's notes helpful but too short, and also mention two sets of notes by McGreevy and Sundrum. Another suggestion is Zwiebach's book on String Theory, which includes a section on AdS/CFT.
pinu
I am studying Witten's papers on AdS/CFT. But I don't have any CFT or SUSY background. Can anyone suggest me some lecture notes or books where I can have illustrative ideas on Ads/CFT correspondence? I do have Nastase's notes.It is really good but too short for introduction!

Physics news on Phys.org
I've been slowly trying to learn about this too. Two sets of notes that seem friendlier to me are McGreevy's and Sundrum's.

Last edited:
Thank you very much..! It seems really very useful for me.

You could try the latest edition of Zwiebach's book on String Theory. That contains a section on AdS/CFT.

1. What is AdS/CFT and why is it important to study?

AdS/CFT is a duality between two seemingly different theories: Anti-de Sitter space (AdS) and conformal field theory (CFT). This duality is important because it allows us to study difficult problems in one theory by translating them into simpler problems in the other theory. It has also provided important insights into the nature of quantum gravity and the connections between different areas of physics.

2. Do I need a background in CFT or SUSY to study AdS/CFT?

No, a background in CFT or SUSY is not necessary to study AdS/CFT. However, it is helpful to have a basic understanding of quantum field theory and general relativity.

3. What are some good resources for beginners to learn about AdS/CFT?

There are many resources available for beginners, including textbooks, online lectures, and review articles. Some recommended resources include "AdS/CFT Correspondence: Einstein's Theory of Gravity and the Conformal Field Theory" by Ammon and Erdmenger, the online course "AdS/CFT Correspondence" by Juan Maldacena, and the review article "The AdS/CFT Correspondence: Applications to QCD and Condensed Matter" by Natsuume.

4. What are some tips for someone with no CFT/SUSY background to start studying AdS/CFT?

Here are a few tips:

• Start by familiarizing yourself with the basic concepts of AdS/CFT, such as the duality and the relevant theories.
  • Focus on understanding the key mathematical tools used in AdS/CFT, such as conformal symmetry and holography.
  • Find a study group or partner to discuss and work through problems together.
  • Don't be afraid to ask questions and seek help from more experienced researchers.

5. What are some common misconceptions about AdS/CFT?

One common misconception is that AdS/CFT provides a complete description of quantum gravity. In reality, it is a useful tool for studying certain aspects of quantum gravity, but it is not a complete theory in and of itself. Another misconception is that AdS/CFT only applies to high-energy physics, when in fact it has been used to study a wide range of phenomena in condensed matter and other areas of physics.