Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Studying Studying for Calculus-based Physics

1. Sep 24, 2010 #1
    I'm taking Calculus-based Physics using the Fundamentals of Physics text by Halliday, Resnick, and Walker. I took a full year of Calculus a year ago and did well (an A the first two quarters and a B+ the last quarter). I've never taken Physics before though, so some of the concepts are a bit foreign to me.

I was wondering if there are any supplemental books anyone would recommend for reading with this class? I was considering buying the 'For Dummies' Physics book, but I don't know if that would be at a high enough level for this class.

Any ideas?

Also, should I work more problems than just all of the ones in the textbook? I made the mistake of only doing the homework problems and I'm pretty sure I just failed my first test (thank goodness we can drop our lowest grade, though it would have been much more preferable to save that for a harder exam).

I'm annoyed with myself - if I'd had more time, I'm positive I could have solved all of the problems, so clearly the issue is one of practice. So a book that has even more practice problems with answers that I can solve would be nice.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 26, 2010 #2
    Yes , if you have never seen physics before , you can buy a high school level text and read it . Also there is a book called conceptual physics and you can search for it in amazon . for dummies series may be useful

4. Sep 26, 2010 #3
    If you actually have the dedication to do extra problems, then I'd recommend Schaum's 3000 Solved Problems in Physics. It covers all of your intro physics and then some.

Personally I found the instructor-assigned homework in my intro classes was more than adequate, so I'm a bit surprised you're looking for more work :D

5. Sep 27, 2010 #4
    I concur with JaWiB, Schaum's outlines and solved problems books are good if you need to practice. But if what you are seeking is a deeper understanding of the subject, since you said you already have some knowledge on Calculus, I would recommend the Feynman lectures. He explains everything with great detail and it is definitely for a calculus-based physics class.

There are three volumes, the first one would be the analogous to the Halliday one, so take a look at this first volume in your library ;)

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook