1. PF Contest - Win "Conquering the Physics GRE" book! Click Here to Enter
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Studying Studying for Calculus-based Physics

1. Sep 24, 2010 #1
    I'm taking Calculus-based Physics using the Fundamentals of Physics text by Halliday, Resnick, and Walker. I took a full year of Calculus a year ago and did well (an A the first two quarters and a B+ the last quarter). I've never taken Physics before though, so some of the concepts are a bit foreign to me.

I was wondering if there are any supplemental books anyone would recommend for reading with this class? I was considering buying the 'For Dummies' Physics book, but I don't know if that would be at a high enough level for this class.

Any ideas?

Also, should I work more problems than just all of the ones in the textbook? I made the mistake of only doing the homework problems and I'm pretty sure I just failed my first test (thank goodness we can drop our lowest grade, though it would have been much more preferable to save that for a harder exam).

I'm annoyed with myself - if I'd had more time, I'm positive I could have solved all of the problems, so clearly the issue is one of practice. So a book that has even more practice problems with answers that I can solve would be nice.
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 26, 2010 #2
    Yes , if you have never seen physics before , you can buy a high school level text and read it . Also there is a book called conceptual physics and you can search for it in amazon . for dummies series may be useful
  4. Sep 26, 2010 #3
    If you actually have the dedication to do extra problems, then I'd recommend Schaum's 3000 Solved Problems in Physics. It covers all of your intro physics and then some.

Personally I found the instructor-assigned homework in my intro classes was more than adequate, so I'm a bit surprised you're looking for more work :D
  5. Sep 27, 2010 #4
    I concur with JaWiB, Schaum's outlines and solved problems books are good if you need to practice. But if what you are seeking is a deeper understanding of the subject, since you said you already have some knowledge on Calculus, I would recommend the Feynman lectures. He explains everything with great detail and it is definitely for a calculus-based physics class.

There are three volumes, the first one would be the analogous to the Halliday one, so take a look at this first volume in your library ;)
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook