Algebra or Calculus based physics to start with?

Zagreus
Hi all,

So I'm interested in going to university to study Theoretical Physics but it's been a couple years since high school and I've forgotten pretty much everything about what I learned in physics class. I've always been interested in mathematics though so I went and learned calculus a while back and have gotten pretty competent but recently got into physics. This leads me to my problem. Would it be better to start with calculus based physics or algebra based physics if I know nothing about the subject?

I've read a lot of other posts saying that calculus based physics is more in depth and rigorous than algebra based physics and I'll eventually have to apply calculus to the subject anyway but I was wondering if it would be better to ease myself into physics with algebra to understand the basic concepts and THEN go to calculus for more detail, or if it's better to just start with the calculus based course. Is the prerequisite for a calculus based course having a grasp of physics with the algebra based course? What should I do?

Thanks a lot

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF. :smile:

Given your background and goals, taking an algebra-based physics class would be a big waste of time, IMO. Please just take the regular physics classes. :wink:

Likes gleem, Math100, gmax137 and 2 others
Purely opinion, but the more thorough of courses (Physics) would be those which are Calculus-based. Lesser intensity and lesser deep detail might be for less motivated students. In case you are presently weak at semester-one Calculus, study that thoroughly as soon as possible..... !

In the US, at most schools (except probably places like MIT, Caltech, et al.), first-year undergraduate physics doesn't actually use much calculus, in terms of the calculation techniques that one learns in a calculus course. It uses calculus mainly as a way to simplify the conceptual side of physics, and the equations. What you really need is a good conceptual understanding of derivatives and integrals, and the most basic techniques for calculating them.

Most of the math in the exercises is still plain old algebra and trigonometry. You need to be fluent at that. In particular, you need to be able to combine equations symbolically in order to arrive at a final equation that lets you calculate the numeric solution in one go, instead of solving each equation numerically and using the result in the next one. Our mantra was "first do all the algebra, then plug in the numbers and do the arithmetic."

Above the first-year level, we move away from exercises that ask for numeric answers, to ones that have equations as answers, using parameters that are stated symbolically (e.g. "a charge of q", instead of "a charge of 1.5 C").

Things may be different in the UK, where your profile indicates you're located.

• Informative
Likes CalcNerd, Math100, symbolipoint and 1 other person
Zagreus said:
Hi all,

So I'm interested in going to university to study Theoretical Physics but it's been a couple years since high school and I've forgotten pretty much everything about what I learned in physics class. I've always been interested in mathematics though so I went and learned calculus a while back and have gotten pretty competent but recently got into physics. This leads me to my problem. Would it be better to start with calculus based physics or algebra based physics if I know nothing about the subject?

I've read a lot of other posts saying that calculus based physics is more in depth and rigorous than algebra based physics and I'll eventually have to apply calculus to the subject anyway but I was wondering if it would be better to ease myself into physics with algebra to understand the basic concepts and THEN go to calculus for more detail, or if it's better to just start with the calculus based course. Is the prerequisite for a calculus based course having a grasp of physics with the algebra based course? What should I do?

Thanks a lot
calculus based intro physics is really just algebra based with some derivatives and simple integrals in my experience, the calculus doesn't really get engrained into the physics until the upper div classes

Likes PhDeezNutz
Elj said:
calculus based intro physics is really just algebra based with some derivatives and simple integrals in my experience, the calculus doesn't really get engrained into the physics until the upper div classes
Some departments vary in when and how hard they push the use of Calculus as the courses advance. By recollection Physics-1 fundamental kinematics & mechanics relied mostly on intermediate algebra and basic trigonometry. Physics-2 Electricity&Magnetism, much tougher trigonometry needed and some Calculus and a few things involving what may have been 'simple' linear equation systems. Physics-2 "Modern Physics" which dealt with radiation, optics, nuclear model of the atom, relied mostly on much trigonometry and all of intermediate algebra. Beyond this series of typical courses required of all STEM students, I cannot say.