Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Stupid questions of basic analysis

1. Oct 13, 2010 #1
    Why [itex]\lim t_n >-\infty\Rightarrow inf\{t_n:n\in\mathbb N\} >-\infty[/itex]?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 14, 2010 #2
    I think the argument is, first of all, I assume [tex] \{t_{n}\} [/tex] take values in [tex] \mathbb{R} [/tex], then, due to the existence of limit, [tex] \inf [/tex] is indeed [tex] \min [/tex] and so it should be [tex] > - \infty [/tex]. Somehow I think it is also an if-and-only-if statement.

Wayne

4. Oct 14, 2010 #3

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The existence of the limit does not imply infimum is minimum.

It's a general fact that if a sequence of points has a limit, the sequence is bounded. The proof can be sketched as follows: Only finitely many points can be a distance greater than 1 away from the limit (by the definition of a limit). So a lower bound of the set is either one of the values farther away than 1 from the limit, or one less than the limit is a lower bound

5. Oct 14, 2010 #4
    Argh, you are right.

I made a mistake in assuming that the bound can be attained within the finite set in the infimum but indeed it is not necessary true. Thanks.

Wayne

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook