Submarine sonar doppler problem

In summary, the stationary destroyer's sonar sends out pulses of sound at 49.0 MHz and receives reflected pulses from a submarine directly below with a time delay of 60.0 ms at a frequency of 48.966 MHz. Using the speed of sound in seawater of 1.58 km/s, the depth of the submarine is calculated to be 47.4 meters. For the magnitude of the submarine's vertical speed, the doppler equation is used to solve for VL, resulting in an answer of 1.096 m/s, which may need to be rounded for accuracy.
leinad0213

Homework Statement

A stationary destroyer is equipped with sonar that sends out pulses of sound at 49.0 MHz. Reflected pulses are received from a submarine directly below with a time delay of 60.0 ms at a frequency of 48.966 MHz. If the speed of sound in seawater is 1.58 km/s, what is the depth of the submarine? What is the magnitude of the submarine's vertical speed?

r or Vs = 1.58 km/s
t = .06s

Homework Equations

d = rt
fL = fS(Vs + VL)/(Vs + VSource)

The Attempt at a Solution

I found the first part simply by using d = rt. And because that is the distance of the sonar wave to the submarine and back to the destroyer I divided the answer by 2 and got the answer of 47.4 meters.

For the second part, I am fairly certain this is doppler problem and when I solved for VL I got the answer of 1.096 m/s which was wrong. Any hints for how to go about solving for the vertical velocity of the submarine?

Physics news on Phys.org
I got the same answer. I see only 3 digit accuracy in the given speed of sound; answer should be rounded. Perhaps you need to round it off to 1.1 to get it correct. The accuracy of the frequency is in question. 49.0 suggests 3 digits but 2 of these are lost in subtraction so if 49.0 is properly stated there is no more than 1 digit accuracy.

1. What is a submarine sonar doppler problem?

A submarine sonar doppler problem refers to an issue with the sonar technology used by submarines to navigate and detect objects in the water. It occurs when there is a discrepancy between the expected doppler shift of sound waves and the actual doppler shift received by the sonar, leading to incorrect readings and potential navigation errors.

2. What causes a submarine sonar doppler problem?

There can be various causes for a submarine sonar doppler problem, including water temperature changes, water density variations, and turbulence in the water. These factors can affect the speed of sound and cause deviations in the doppler shift, leading to inaccurate readings.

3. How does a submarine sonar doppler problem affect navigation?

A submarine sonar doppler problem can affect navigation by providing incorrect information about the location and movement of objects in the water. This can lead to collisions with other vessels or underwater obstacles, as well as errors in navigation and positioning.

4. Can a submarine sonar doppler problem be fixed?

Yes, a submarine sonar doppler problem can be fixed by calibrating the sonar equipment and accounting for any environmental factors that may affect the doppler shift. Regular maintenance and testing of the sonar system can also help prevent and detect any potential issues.

5. How does technology continue to improve submarine sonar doppler systems?

Advancements in technology have allowed for the development of more sophisticated sonar systems, including multi-beam and synthetic aperture sonar, which can provide more accurate and detailed readings. Additionally, research is ongoing to improve the understanding of underwater acoustics and how they can affect sonar readings, leading to better techniques for mitigating doppler problems.