Submission of new thread problem

• Thread starter e2m2a
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the issue of being automatically logged out while composing a post on the forum. The potential causes, such as security software or the timeout feature, are mentioned and a solution is suggested: periodically clicking on the "preview" button while composing the post. It is also suggested to use a word processor to compose longer posts and to click the "Remember Me" box when logging in to avoid being automatically logged out. The need for clearer instructions on the "Remember Me" option is also brought up.
e2m2a
Will someone please tell me why after I am logged in and after I have created a new thread and I try to submit the new topic, the system says I am not logged in. Often I lose the text and have to start all over again and I am not sure how I got it to finally submit. Is it because the text is too long or I am taking too much time? Will somebody please tell me how to prevent this or get around it when the problem arises again? Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
This would seem like a question to PM staff about, not start a thread in general physics. Try general DISCUSSION.

As for what is going on... I have no idea. Perhaps you have some security/anti-cookie software cranked too high?

Are you spending a lot of time composing your post? The board has a time out feature that will automatically log you out after a period of time with no activity. If that is the case then you can circumvent that by periodically clicking on the "preview" button while you are composing your post. That will let the board know that you are still there.

TurtleMeister said:
Are you spending a lot of time composing your post? The board has a time out feature that will automatically log you out after a period of time with no activity. If that is the case then you can circumvent that by periodically clicking on the "preview" button while you are composing your post. That will let the board know that you are still there.

Seriously? In over 400 posts I've never had that problem. Hmmmm... I think I just insulted myself. :rofl:

TurtleMeister said:

Thanks for the answer. I will do this for now on.

Frame Dragger said:
Seriously? In over 400 posts I've never had that problem. Hmmmm... I think I just insulted myself. :rofl:
Us old folks are slow.
old.gif

But seriously, I have had occasions where I needed to look something up or read something else in the middle of a post.

e2m2a said:
Will someone please tell me why after I am logged in and after I have created a new thread and I try to submit the new topic, the system says I am not logged in. Often I lose the text and have to start all over again and I am not sure how I got it to finally submit. Is it because the text is too long or I am taking too much time? Will somebody please tell me how to prevent this or get around it when the problem arises again? Thank you.

This has happened to me. A few things you can do:

First, if you time-out and end up on that sign-back-in page, don't sign in using the entry blanks in the upper right corner. Use the one in the middle of the page, and your text will be saved.

There are ways to prevent it, too. If you know you post will take a while to write, use a word processor to compose it, then copy-paste.

If you write a post directly into PF that took longer than you thought it would take, and you suspect you've timed out, copy the post before you submit. At least it will be in your copy cache that way.

When you sign in, you can click the "Remember Me" box to avoid getting logged off automatically.

Redbelly98 said:
When you sign in, you can click the "Remember Me" box to avoid getting logged off automatically.

Thanks for that hint "Redbelly98" ! :smile:

I had also that problem in the beginning, before discovering the possibility of "previewing"
repeatedly or copying written text elsewhere in advance. I thought my post was not welcome or they did not appreciate "slow" writers. This "phenomenon" may have scared
posters away from this forum - I was almost scared away myself.

But why not at that marking place explain what is meant by "Remember me" or substitute it with for instance "Stay logged in" so people understand what is meant? :confused:

M Grandin said:
... But why not at that marking place explain what is meant by "Remember me" or substitute it with for instance "Stay logged in" so people understand what is meant? :confused:

This is a science forum kid!

Meaning: you should have the minimum cleverness needed, to figure that out yourself :cool:

Side note: He’s right, it took me 3 days to figure that out :grumpy:… Did I just... Nevermind :biggrin:

1. Why am I unable to submit a new thread on the forum?

There could be several reasons for this issue. First, make sure you are logged in to your account and have the necessary permissions to create a new thread. Also, check if the forum has a limit on the number of threads you can create per day. If none of these are the issue, there may be a technical glitch with the forum. Contact the forum administrator for further assistance.

2. How do I add a new thread to an existing discussion?

To add a new thread to an existing discussion, navigate to the specific forum or thread you want to contribute to. Look for the "Add New Thread" button and click on it. This will open a text editor where you can type your thread title and content. Once you are satisfied, click on the "Submit" button to publish your thread.

3. Can I edit or delete a thread after it has been submitted?

Yes, most forums allow users to edit or delete their own threads. Look for the "Edit" or "Delete" button on your thread and click on it to make changes or remove the thread entirely. However, some forums may have specific rules or restrictions on editing or deleting threads, so it's best to check with the forum guidelines or the administrator.

4. How do I format my thread to make it more visually appealing?

Most forums have text editors that allow you to format your thread content. You can use basic formatting options such as bold, italics, and headings to make your thread more visually appealing. Additionally, you can also use images, videos, and links to enhance your thread. Make sure to follow the forum's guidelines for formatting to ensure your thread looks presentable.

5. Can I attach files or documents to my thread?

It depends on the forum's settings and the specific discussion thread. Some forums allow users to attach files or documents to their threads, while others may not have this feature. If you do not see an option to attach files, you can try uploading the file to a third-party platform and sharing the link in your thread. Make sure to follow the forum's guidelines for sharing external links.