1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Submitting job applications WAY before deadlines: an advantage?

1. Jun 29, 2009 #1
    Hey,

I'm searching for a job in the environmental field these days. I have started my search recently and don't have much experience about professional norms in the work place -- I'm trying to get my first job after college. I'm wondering if I complete my job application 10 days or two weeks before the deadline then it will be a thing that recruiters like -- and may be to my advantage. Or: If submitting applications a day or two before the deadline, or on the deadline day will be the best strategy.

Perhaps this question is weird, but I seriously have limited time and resources and I don't want to get small things add up and collapse my efforts through the process.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 30, 2009 #2

Choppy

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

I think the best strategy is to apply as soon as you can once you're sure you want the job because:
    - there's a smaller risk that something will come up and you will miss the deadline
    - the earlier you apply, the earlier your name is associated with the position
    - if too many qualified applicants put their names in, the company could unofficially close the competition early
    - it gives the recruiters more time to research you (call references, previous employers, read your Facebook page, etc.)

4. Jun 30, 2009 #3
    How can they read your Facebook page ???

5. Jun 30, 2009 #4

Choppy

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

It strikes me as odd that anyone would implicitly assume that a potential employer cannot access a social networking site. Depending on the company, many recruiters will now search cyberspace when checking up on a potential candidate. The fact that you generally have control over who is listed as a 'friend' or that you post on a forum using a pseudonym only guarantees a superficial level of anonymity. When it comes to government jobs that require security clearance for example, all bets are off.

6. Jun 30, 2009 #5
    No! They will discover all my hidden passions that I saw fit to publish on the internet!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook