Submitting job applications WAY before deadlines: an advantage?

In summary, the best strategy for applying to a job in the environmental field is to submit your application as soon as possible after deciding you want the job. This reduces the risk of missing the deadline, allows your name to be associated with the position earlier, and gives recruiters more time to research you. It is also important to keep in mind that potential employers may have access to your social media presence, so it is important to be mindful of what you post online.
Spirit
Hey,

I'm searching for a job in the environmental field these days. I have started my search recently and don't have much experience about professional norms in the work place -- I'm trying to get my first job after college. I'm wondering if I complete my job application 10 days or two weeks before the deadline then it will be a thing that recruiters like -- and may be to my advantage. Or: If submitting applications a day or two before the deadline, or on the deadline day will be the best strategy.

Perhaps this question is weird, but I seriously have limited time and resources and I don't want to get small things add up and collapse my efforts through the process.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think the best strategy is to apply as soon as you can once you're sure you want the job because:
- there's a smaller risk that something will come up and you will miss the deadline
- the earlier you apply, the earlier your name is associated with the position
- if too many qualified applicants put their names in, the company could unofficially close the competition early
- it gives the recruiters more time to research you (call references, previous employers, read your Facebook page, etc.)

Choppy said:
I think the best strategy is to apply as soon as you can once you're sure you want the job because:
- it gives the recruiters more time to research you (call references, previous employers, read your Facebook page, etc.)

How can they read your Facebook page ?

Gil-galad said:
How can they read your Facebook page ?

It strikes me as odd that anyone would implicitly assume that a potential employer cannot access a social networking site. Depending on the company, many recruiters will now search cyberspace when checking up on a potential candidate. The fact that you generally have control over who is listed as a 'friend' or that you post on a forum using a pseudonym only guarantees a superficial level of anonymity. When it comes to government jobs that require security clearance for example, all bets are off.

No! They will discover all my hidden passions that I saw fit to publish on the internet!

1. Is it better to submit a job application early or right before the deadline?

It is generally recommended to submit a job application as early as possible, as this shows initiative and enthusiasm for the position. Employers may also begin reviewing applications before the deadline, giving early applicants a potential advantage.

2. Can submitting a job application too early hurt my chances?

No, submitting a job application early typically does not have any negative impact. In fact, it may give you an edge over other applicants by showing your eagerness and giving you more time to prepare a thorough and well-written application.

3. How far in advance should I submit a job application?

It is recommended to submit a job application 2-4 weeks before the deadline, as this allows enough time for the employer to review your application and potentially schedule an interview. However, if the application deadline is approaching, it is better to submit it early rather than waiting until the last minute.

4. What are the benefits of submitting a job application early?

Submitting a job application early can give you a competitive advantage over other applicants, as it shows your enthusiasm and dedication to the position. It also allows you more time to tailor your application to the specific job and company, increasing your chances of standing out.

5. Can I still submit a job application after the deadline?

In most cases, job applications submitted after the deadline will not be considered. However, if the job posting is still active and the employer is still accepting applications, it is worth contacting them to inquire about submitting a late application.