Subtracting integers with powers

In summary, The conversation is about evaluating the expression 6667²-3333² (without a calculator). The person asking the question mentions that there must be a simple way to solve it and is frustrated that their teacher couldn't do it either. Another person explains the concept of difference of two squares and provides an example. The original person thanks them for their help.
PhyStan7

Homework Statement

Hey, sorry about this. Its really obvious, i think there's just some really simple way to do it. Its annoying me, my teacher couldn't do it either!

Evaluate 6667²-3333² (without a calculator)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know there is just some really obvious way to do it. It was only worth 2 marks. Checking the answer on a calculator it was 33340000 and 6667-3333=3334 so i wasnt sure if that was how you did it, found the answer to the integers minus each other and add zeros. But i tried other examples and it didnt hold true.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
At some point in class, you should have covered what the difference of two squares is. Just to remind you, it looks something like this:
[tex]a^2-b^2=(a+b)*(a-b)[/tex]

I hope that helps.

You in general can also try to factorize the terms and calculate and simplify that way; but in the example you gave, knowing the difference of two squares is more efficient as in post #2.

Awesome, cheers guys!

What is the rule for subtracting integers with powers?

The rule for subtracting integers with powers is to simply subtract the exponents of the powers while keeping the base the same. For example, when subtracting x^4 from x^6, the answer would be x^2.

How do I subtract integers with powers that have different bases?

To subtract integers with powers that have different bases, you must first find a common base between the two powers. Then, apply the rule for subtracting integers with powers by subtracting the exponents while keeping the common base the same. For example, when subtracting 3^4 from 2^4, the common base would be 2 and the answer would be -1^4.

Can the exponent of a power be negative when subtracting integers with powers?

Yes, the exponent of a power can be negative when subtracting integers with powers. This is because the negative exponent represents the reciprocal of the base raised to the positive exponent. For example, when subtracting x^-3 from x^5, the answer would be x^8.

What happens when both powers have negative exponents when subtracting integers with powers?

When both powers have negative exponents, you can rewrite the powers as fractions with positive exponents. Then, apply the rule for subtracting integers with powers by subtracting the numerators of the fractions while keeping the denominators the same. For example, when subtracting x^-2 from x^-5, the answer would be x^-3 or 1/x^3.

Can you explain subtracting integers with powers using real-life examples?

One real-life example of subtracting integers with powers is calculating the change in elevation when hiking a mountain. If you start at an elevation of 1000 feet and hike up 500 feet, the elevation is now 1000 + 500 = 1500 feet. However, if you then descend 200 feet, the elevation is now 1500 - 200 = 1300 feet. This can be represented as 1000^1 + 500^1 - 200^1 = 1300^1.