Finding mass of water by subtracting graduated cylinder mass

In summary, the student is trying to figure out how to find the slope of a line when graphed and is having difficulty understanding how to do so. The slope is the vertical distance between two points on the graph and can be found by dividing the vertical difference by the horizontal difference.
porksoda

Homework Statement

Ok so I have to do this lab that I just started today, I have a link to the entire assignment so you guys can see everything here: http://www.bclearningnetwork.com/LOR/media/ch11/course_files/Unit_Labs/Unit_1_density_lab.pdf

I asked my teacher how I'm supposed to do it, all she said was to find the mass of water and methanol, I just subtract the mass of the cylinder from the mass of cylinder plus water/methanol. When I did it with the methanol it made a bit more sense, but when I did it with water I had the same mass of water as volume of water, so that's really got me confused.

I have to find slope too, but I'm not 100% sure how to find slope. I'm doing the course online so I have limited information given on how to find things and minimal practice worksheets, I only had one for how to graph so far but it didn't ask me to find the slope.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Like I said earlier, when I subtracted the cylinder mass from the cylinder +water mass, I got the same numbers for mass as I did for volume, I feel like that really shouldn't be the case.. thanks for helping, it's my first time here~

Physics news on Phys.org
What is the density of water? How are the density, volume and mass related?

Borek said:
What is the density of water? How are the density, volume and mass related?

I don't know the density or the mass, neither are given, I just have different volumes, different masses of water in graduated cylinders, and all the graduated cylinders before water is added has 35.00 g +/- 0.001g (interchangeable with 25 mL). I just need to know if I really do just subtract the mass of the cylinder from the mass of the cylinder+ water because when I do the first question (Mass of water graduated cylinder= 40.00 and subtract 35.00) the answer is 5.0 which is the same as the volume. The entire water table is like that which has got me confused, but in the methanol table the mass is different from the volume.

You should know the density of water, as it is one of the most common constants you will encounter. In the past it was part of the mL and liter definition. If it was not given just google it, knowing it will pay off in the future.

You don't have to know values of density, mass and volume, I am asking how they are related to each other. Do you know how is the density defined?

You haven't done slope in math? (I mention it becasue a lot of students master a concept in math and then don't recognize it any more if they meet the same concept again in any other science.)

Anyway, when you have done the graph, take two convenient, widely separated points on it, then the slope is the vertical distance between them divided by the horizontal difference. Not hard, I hope, to see what this means in physical terms.

What is the purpose of finding the mass of water by subtracting the graduated cylinder mass?

The purpose of finding the mass of water by subtracting the graduated cylinder mass is to accurately determine the mass of a given volume of water. This is an important measurement in many scientific experiments and can help in calculating other properties of water such as density and specific heat capacity.

What materials are needed to find the mass of water by subtracting the graduated cylinder mass?

The materials needed include a graduated cylinder, water, and a scale that measures in grams. It is also helpful to have a paper towel or cloth for wiping off any excess water from the graduated cylinder.

What is the process for finding the mass of water by subtracting the graduated cylinder mass?

The process involves first measuring the mass of an empty graduated cylinder on the scale. Then, carefully pouring a known volume of water into the cylinder and measuring the total mass of the cylinder and water. Finally, subtracting the mass of the empty cylinder from the mass of the cylinder and water to get the mass of the water alone.

What are some potential sources of error when finding the mass of water by subtracting the graduated cylinder mass?

Potential sources of error include not properly zeroing the scale before measuring, inaccurate measurements of the graduated cylinder or water volume, and not properly drying off the excess water from the cylinder. It is important to be careful and precise when conducting this measurement to minimize any potential sources of error.

Are there any alternative methods for finding the mass of water besides subtracting the graduated cylinder mass?

Yes, there are other methods for finding the mass of water such as using a balance to directly measure the mass of a known volume of water or using a displacement method with a solid object and a container of water. However, subtracting the graduated cylinder mass is a commonly used and accurate method for finding the mass of water.