Success in high energy theory - supervisors' thoughts

In summary, the conversation is discussing the qualities and attributes of PhD students who have gone on to have successful careers in high energy theoretical physics. Some attributes mentioned include being able to form collaborations, writing multiple papers during their PhD, and starting their PhD before a certain time period. The question is posed whether supervisors can predict a student's success based on their first few years in the program.
spaghetti3451
This question is directed to all the professors who have supervised PhD students in high energy theoretical physics.

What attributes have you noticed (during your years as a supervisor) among PhD students who later went on to have great careers in high energy theoretical physics and made a name for themselves in the field? Let me start off the list: being able to form collaborations on your own, writing at least eight or nine papers as a PhD student, if not more, ... ... ... .

Given your years of experience as a supervisor, do you now know (to some extent), after having seen a PhD student for one or two years, if he/she will be successful in academia and make a name for him/herself?

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not a supervisor, but probably the overwhelmingly highest impact attribute is starting your PhD before the 70's, which, if I heard correctly, is roughly when HEP funding across the board (especially in the US) started to go seriously south.

There is probably an order of magnitude difference in predictive power between that particular trait and any other.

Last edited:
Likes spaghetti3451 and Dishsoap

1. What is the importance of having a supervisor in high energy theory research?

Having a supervisor in high energy theory research is crucial because they provide guidance, support, and expertise in the field. They can also offer valuable insights and suggestions for research direction and methodology.

2. How can I ensure a successful relationship with my supervisor in high energy theory?

Effective communication and mutual respect are key to a successful relationship with your supervisor in high energy theory. It is important to clearly communicate your goals and expectations and be open to constructive criticism and feedback.

3. What qualities should I look for in a supervisor for high energy theory research?

When choosing a supervisor for high energy theory research, it is important to look for someone who has a strong background and expertise in the field, good communication skills, and a track record of successful mentorship. It is also important to consider their availability and compatibility with your research interests.

4. How can I effectively manage conflicts or disagreements with my supervisor in high energy theory research?

Conflicts or disagreements with your supervisor in high energy theory research are unavoidable, but they can be managed effectively through open and respectful communication. It is important to listen to their perspective and try to find a compromise or solution that benefits both parties.

5. How can I make the most of my relationship with my supervisor in high energy theory research?

To make the most of your relationship with your supervisor in high energy theory research, it is important to actively seek their guidance and advice, regularly communicate updates on your progress, and be open to learning from their expertise and experience. Building a positive and productive relationship with your supervisor can greatly contribute to your success in high energy theory research.