Suggest any titles that i could research?

• Thread starter sara_87
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Research
In summary, the person is seeking help in choosing a project for their final year at university. They mention an interest in number theory but are open to suggestions on other topics. Someone recommends the book "Unsolved Problems in Number Theory" and the person expresses gratitude for the suggestion. Another person suggests checking with their university for a list of suitable topics and faculty who can supervise projects. The original person finds the book interesting and mentions sharing it with a friend. Lastly, someone advises against using the book for an undergraduate project.
sara_87
i'm not quite sure where to post this, but i need help picking a project for my final year (3rd year uni)

i like number theory but I'm not sure what to do
anyone want to suggest any titles that i could research?
actually you could even suggest topics that have nothing to do with number theory, if i find them interesting i'll research a little bit about them...

any suggestions will be very appreciated

Physics news on Phys.org

sara_87 said:
i'm not quite sure where to post this, but i need help picking a project for my final year (3rd year uni)

i like number theory but I'm not sure what to do
anyone want to suggest any titles that i could research?
actually you could even suggest topics that have nothing to do with number theory, if i find them interesting i'll research a little bit about them...

any suggestions will be very appreciated

Doesn't your university give a list of suitable topics, or a list of faculty who would be willing to supervise projects in certain, specific areas? It would be quite hard to just randomly pick some topic!

alphachapmtl said:
Check this book:
Unsolved Problems in Number Theory
by Richard K. Guy
Publisher: Springer; 3rd edition (July 13, 2004)

It is full of ideas, with lot of stuff to investigate.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0387208607/?tag=pfamazon01-20

http://books.google.com/books?id=1A...ig=ACfU3U273yDMqnMuUjnet9uYFVZ0zGwVrw#PPP1,M1

thanx that's exactly what i was looking for, unsolved stuff! :)

cristo said:
Doesn't your university give a list of suitable topics, or a list of faculty who would be willing to supervise projects in certain, specific areas? It would be quite hard to just randomly pick some topic!

yeah they gave lots of options but i didn't like any of them... they were too boring i want to do something new!

I had a similar project to do for my 3rd year university. I suggest you stay away from Guy's book. The problems in it are fascinating but they're way too difficult for an undergrad semester.

What are some important factors to consider when choosing a research title?

Some important factors to consider when choosing a research title include relevance to current issues or gaps in the field, feasibility of conducting the research, and potential impact or significance of the results.

How can I come up with a unique and original research title?

One way to come up with a unique and original research title is to brainstorm with others in your field, read current literature for inspiration, and consider incorporating new or emerging topics into your research.

Are there any resources or tools that can help me generate research titles?

Yes, there are resources and tools such as online title generators, research topic databases, and academic journals that can provide ideas and inspiration for research titles.

Can a research title be changed during the course of the study?

Yes, a research title can be changed during the course of the study if new information or developments warrant a more accurate or relevant title. However, it is important to consult with your research advisor or team before making any changes.

Is it necessary to have a catchy or attention-grabbing title for a research project?

No, it is not necessary to have a catchy or attention-grabbing title for a research project. The most important aspect of a research title is that it accurately reflects the content and purpose of the study.