Suggestion for New Section - Theoretical

• Thread starter Joe Ciancimino
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the issue of exploring theoretical concepts and the conflicts it causes within online forums. On one hand, there is a desire to keep the forums clean and focused on legitimate research, while on the other hand, there are those who want to discuss unconventional ideas. The suggestion is made to have a separate section for these discussions, but it is noted that this has not been successful in the past due to the nature of online forums.
Joe Ciancimino
I noticed that I am not the only one that dabbles in exploring the theoretical, and this always seems to cause problems in one form or another. On one hand,the purists want to keep the forums clean so they can be used for legitimate research and reference. A rather admiral goal, considering this is open to the public. On the other hand those of us that want to research a valid question that goes against the grain of the current norm often feel like we are getting slapped down. I can understand that too many want to post some wacky idea that makes sense, then someone else comes along and gets lost in the mix, no one takes time to really consider what they are trying to say. Maybe their wording was off, maybe you simply are not understanding the context which they are trying to express. So they get slapped down with all the rest. So what I ask is, if you want to keep the forums clean and uncluttered then give us crazy people our own section.

Physics news on Phys.org
Physics Forums used to have an "independent research" forum. It did not work out very well and is one of the reasons PF is not open to speculative threads. An anonymous internet forum is not a good place for discussions on new research, which should be done within the appropriate scientific community.

Joe Ciancimino said:
I can understand that too many want to post some wacky idea that makes sense
In all the years of this forum, this never happened. We just got some four-digit number of ideas that did not make sense at all. The ratio is just too bad.

Edit: Didn't see Orodruin closed the thread already.

Likes Joe Ciancimino

1. What is the purpose of a theoretical section in a scientific paper?

The theoretical section in a scientific paper serves to provide a theoretical framework for the research being presented. It explains the underlying principles and concepts that support the hypotheses and methods used in the study.

2. How is the theoretical section different from the introduction?

The introduction typically provides background information and context for the research, while the theoretical section delves deeper into the specific theories and concepts that inform the study. Theoretical sections are also more common in scientific papers, while introductions can be found in a variety of written works.

3. Should I include a theoretical section in my paper if my research is based on existing theories?

Yes, it is important to include a theoretical section even if your research is based on existing theories. This section allows you to demonstrate your understanding of the theories and how they relate to your specific research question. It also helps readers understand the rationale behind your research and how it contributes to the larger body of knowledge.

4. Can I include multiple theories in my theoretical section?

Yes, you can include multiple theories in your theoretical section. However, it is important to ensure that they are all relevant and support your research question. If including multiple theories, it may be helpful to explain how they are interconnected and how they inform your research.

5. Is there a specific structure or format for a theoretical section?

There is no one specific structure or format for a theoretical section, as it can vary depending on the type of research and the specific theories being discussed. However, it is important to clearly define and explain each theory, provide evidence for their relevance to the research, and connect them to the overall research question and hypotheses.