Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Sulfur Extraction and Potassium Nitrate

1. Jul 12, 2006 #1
    Well I've found this recipe to extract Potassium Nitrate from nitrate bearing potting soil containing 0.09% nitrate nitrogen and ive also found this one soil (well its more like rocky gravel) for turfs that contains 9.00% nitrogen nitrate. Okay so my question is can i extract the one with 9.00% when its in gravel type form with boiling water and ash on the bottom of it like the recipe says or should i just stick with the potting soil. Also i saw that the 9.00% percent one is from ammonium nitrate.
    Oh yeah the recipe is from jolly roger i know its not safe but what the heck its not nitroglycerin.

I've also been looking for sulfur. I was wondering if it was possible to extract it from epsom salt (magnesium sulfate) but i was thinking that was pretty hard and i should stick to going to nurserys or pharmacies (despite the fact that at pharmacies you have to have a damn good explanation to tell them why you need it) and well yeah. i was wondering if i could get sulfur (90% pure or more in crystalline/powder form) from household ingredients using a safe procedure...well...dont worry abou thte safety too much... :)

Thansk i would really appreciate the help im just trying to experiment with a little bit of gunpowder in pyrotechnics.
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 13, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 12, 2006 #2

Science Advisor

As for the Sulfur,
    It will be way too difficult to try to extract elemental Sulfur from Magnesium Sulfate....best to find another source.

I get sulfur at a garden[-ish] type of store, brand name "Hi-Yield Dusting Wettable Sulfur". It comes in a 4 lb. yellow and red, heavy duty paper bag containing 90% pure Sulfur. I believe it is often used (or is supposed to be used as) repel certain pests (like chiggers and mites) on plants.
    Something like this would probably be your best option.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?