Sulphur trioxide

• Thread starter Kushal
  • Start date

Main Question or Discussion Point

Is SO3 soluble in water??

i know it reacts very exothermically with water to form water soluble products (H2SO4). But is SO3 itself soluble in water?

Answers and Replies

of course, which is energetically favourable.

symbolipoint
Homework Helper
Education Advisor
Gold Member
Think of it this way: If you heat (but do not try this because it can be extremely dangerous) sulfuric acid enough, it will push sulfur trioxide as a gas out of solution. Think of sulfur trioxide as the anhydrous form of sulfuric acid. Yes, sulfur trioxide is soluble in water.

Think of it this way: If you heat (but do not try this because it can be extremely dangerous) sulfuric acid enough, it will push sulfur trioxide as a gas out of solution. Think of sulfur trioxide as the anhydrous form of sulfuric acid. Yes, sulfur trioxide is soluble in water.
It probably is, but, have you really ever seen a water solution of SO3?

noo.... i don't think they have those in high school labs!!

noo.... i don't think they have those in high school labs!!
Don't know what you intended exactly, but I intended: since SO3 reacts with water instantaneously, how can we see a water solution of it?

awwww ok...... lol.... i didn't think of it as sarcastic... i thought there really were solutions of SO3 dissolved in water.

haha, thnks anyway

awwww ok...... lol.... i didn't think of it as sarcastic... i thought there really were solutions of SO3 dissolved in water.

haha, thnks anyway
:smile: