1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Sum of a Miscelleneous series.

1. Oct 22, 2011 #1

AGNuke

Gold Member

If [itex]f(r) = 1 + \frac{1}{2} + \frac{1}{3}+... \frac{1}{r}[/itex] and [itex]f(0) = 0[/itex], then find [itex]\sum_{r=1}^{n}(2r+1)f(r)[/itex]

I tried the following steps but stuck at some point.

[itex]\sum_{r=1}^{n}rf(r)+(r+1)f(r)[/itex]

[itex]= \sum_{r=1}^{n}rf(r)+(r+1)[f(r+1)-\frac{1}{r+1}][/itex]

[itex]= \sum_{r=1}^{n}rf(r)+(r+1)f(r+1) - \sum_{r=1}^{n}1[/itex]

The real problem is to find [itex]\sum_{r=1}^{n}rf(r)+(r+1)f(r+1)[/itex]

Can someone please help me beyond this point by solving the above steps?

For verification, the Solution is [itex](n+1)^{2}f(n+1)-\frac{n^2+3n+2}{2}[/itex]

Thanks in Advanced!

Last edited: Oct 22, 2011
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 22, 2011 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Then [itex]\sum_{r=1}^{n}(2r+1)f(r)[/itex] does what?
    Don't use [itex]\Rightarrow[/itex] here. Connect expressions that are equal with =.

4. Oct 22, 2011 #3

AGNuke

Gold Member

Fixed

Fixed

5. Oct 23, 2011 #4

AGNuke

Gold Member

Anyone even with the slightest idea what to do next? I don't have much time left to submit the solution and I am also working on the solution simultaneously.

Thanks!

6. Oct 23, 2011 #5

I like Serena

Homework Helper

Hi AGNuke! :smile:

I do not know how to derive your solution, but you can prove it with full induction.
    Would full induction satisfy the requirements?

7. Oct 23, 2011 #6

AGNuke

Gold Member

It's a problem of Summation for a product of two functions of a natural number. One is quite easy but the given f(r) is quite complex to sum.

I am like in 11th grade or something, so I really don't know much about advanced mathematics.

8. Oct 23, 2011 #7

I like Serena

Homework Helper

I'd classify any derivation or proof as advanced mathematics.

Without it I can only recommend trial and error.
    If you have multiple answers you can verify the answers by trying them for n=1 and n=2.
    And if that doesn't leave one answer, try n=3.

9. Oct 23, 2011 #8

AGNuke

Gold Member

That's what we call objective approach. The answer is satisfying n=1. But will it not be good if I can do the same with the proper subjective approach?

10. Oct 23, 2011 #9

I like Serena

Homework Helper

I'm not sure what you mean by subjective approach, but I do not see another approach that you can complete within 3 minutes.

11. Oct 23, 2011 #10

AGNuke

Gold Member

Subjective approach is pure mathematics + Some tricks based on assumptions and previous knowledge to cut down the time.

I know this question is ultra level, that's why we weren't able to solve it. But since we've got plenty of time after the paper, I was considering that I can get a proper subjective approach on papers.

12. Oct 23, 2011 #11

I like Serena

Homework Helper

Well, I guess I can give you an estimation method.

We have these things called the order of a sequence or series.
    For instance 2n+1 has order n, and n^2 + 3 has order n^2.
    The series [itex]\sum\limits_r 2r+1[/itex] has order n^2, since it's an arithmetic progression.

Since f(r) is a diverging series, but diverges slower than r, it has order n.

With these you can determine the order of your original expression and check what the order of your answers is.

13. Oct 23, 2011 #12

AGNuke

Gold Member

Ok... Thanks for this method, but anyways, I got my answer after an hour or so of paperwork. I'll be posting it shortly to see where could I cut through steps and time. :biggrin:

14. Oct 24, 2011 #13

AGNuke

Gold Member

Here's my attempt at the question. Got my answer but still I feel it is quite unorthodox. I also want to see where can I cut short some steps.

gif.latex?f(r)=%201+\frac{1}{2}+\frac{1}{3}+...+\frac{1}{r};%20\sum_{r=1}^{n}(2r+1)f(r).gif

gif.latex?=\sum%20[r+(r+1)]f(r).gif

gif.latex?=\sum%20rf(r)+\sum%20(r+1)f(r).gif

gif.latex?=\sum%20rf(r)+\sum%20(r+1)\left%20[%20f(r+1)-\frac{1}{(r+1)}%20\right%20].gif

gif.latex?=\sum%20rf(r)+\sum%20(r+1)f(r+1)-\sum%201.gif

We know that gif.latex?\sum_{r=1}^{n}1=n.gif and expanding Ʃrf(r)+Ʃ(r+1)f(r+1), we get

gif.latex?\dpi{120}%20\left%20[%201f(1)+2f(2)+3f(3)+...gif gif.latex?\dpi{120}%20\left%20[2f(2)+3f(3)+...gif

gif.latex?\dpi{120}%20=\left%20[%201f(1)+2f(2)+3f(3)+...gif gif.latex?\dpi{120}%20\left%20[1f(1)+2f(2)+3f(3)+...gif

gif.gif

As we can see, 1f(1) is simply equals to 1.

Expanding rf(r) so as to find something more useful.

gif.gif gif.gif gif.gif gif.gif gif.gif gif.latex?\dpi{120}%20+...+\left%20(\frac{n}{1}+\frac{n}{2}+\frac{n}{3}+%20\frac{n}{4}+...gif

If we group them properly, what we see, we see some individual series with a common denominator, and what's more, they are in AP! And taking out their sum is no issue.

gif.gif gif.latex?\dpi{120}%20=\left%20(%20\frac{1}{1}+\frac{2}{1}+\frac{3}{1}+\frac{4}{1}+...gif gif.latex?\dpi{120}%20+\left%20(%20\frac{2}{2}+\frac{3}{2}+\frac{4}{2}+...gif gif.latex?\dpi{120}%20+\left%20(%20\frac{3}{3}+\frac{4}{3}+...gif gif.latex?\dpi{120}%20+...gif

Sum of AP in the first bracket is gif.gif

Sum of AP in the second bracket is gif.gif

Sum of AP in the third bracket is gif.gif

and if we continue to follow the trend, we get the sum of the last bracket as gif.gif

Here's my mischievous trick : If I consider another variable term k, which is the order of the bracket : first, second, third,..., nth bracket as k = 1, 2, 3,..., n. This forms a series of sum of sum of different APs, and the term of the main series is given by:

gif.gif

By doing this dirty work, I converted the summation of seemingly-impossible-to-sum series into a nicer series. Hence,

gif.gif

Using this equation into long forgotten step:

gif.gif

Expanding our new summation function, we get

gif.gif
    (Sorry for eating out intermediate step, was too lazy to type that out)

By observation, we see gif.gif ; gif.gif and gif.gif

By further manipulation,

gif.gif

Therefore, the next step is

gif.gif

Grouping common terms:

gif.gif

gif.gif

Tada! Here comes the answer but at this cost... The thing I am asking for is How to cut short through the procedure via a better trick or a concept (not too high level, I'm only in 11th grade)

Hoping for a reply soon!

Last edited: Oct 24, 2011
  15. Oct 24, 2011 #14

I like Serena

Homework Helper

Congratulations! Looks good!! :smile:

I see you've already taken the time to make it as readable as possible.
    The bad news: I see no possible shortcuts.

16. Oct 24, 2011 #15

AGNuke

Gold Member

What's the use of a solution if even I can't read it.

Sorry to hear that you can't see any possible shortcuts. Anybody else?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook