Sum of cos²x + cos²2x + ... + cos²nx and sin²x + sin²2x + ... + sin²nx
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
64 replies · 10K views
Physics news on Phys.org
Physicsissuef
- 908
- 0
Yes it is not equal. How will we find the sums?
Physicsissuef
- 908
- 0
exp(2*i*x)=cos2x+isin2x ?
cos2x-cos2nx
-------------- is the geometric sum?
1-cos2x
cos2x-cos2nx
-------------- is the geometric sum?
1-cos2x
Last edited:
Physicsissuef
- 908
- 0
But didn't we said that we need to find
the geometric sum cos2x+cos4x+...+cosnx ?
the geometric sum cos2x+cos4x+...+cosnx ?
Physicsissuef
- 908
- 0
I don't understand what you mean. Can you explain how we should find the solution, starting from the beginning, please?
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
- 26,254
- 623
Physicsissuef said:I don't understand what you mean. Can you explain how we should find the solution, starting from the beginning, please?
No. I don't have unlimited time to waste on this. I don't notice that you bother to pay any detailed attention to what people tell you anyway. It's all in the previous posts. Go reread them. I'm not going to repeat myself again. I've already done enough of that.
Physicsissuef
- 908
- 0
C=[tex]\frac{cos(n+1)xsin(nx)}{sinx}[/tex]
D=[tex]\frac{sin(n+1)xsin(nx)}{sinx}[/tex]
Why I was searching this for?
D=[tex]\frac{sin(n+1)xsin(nx)}{sinx}[/tex]
Why I was searching this for?
Physicsissuef
- 908
- 0
Where I should go out of here:
[tex]\frac{e^2^i^x-e^i^2^n^x}{1-e^2^i^x}[/tex] ?
[tex]\frac{e^2^i^x-e^i^2^n^x}{1-e^2^i^x}[/tex] ?
Physicsissuef
- 908
- 0
[tex]\frac{{e}^{2ix}-{e}^{i2(n+1)x}}{1-{e}^{2ix}} \circ \frac{1+{e}^{2ix}}{1+{e}^{2ix}}[/tex]
Like this?
Like this?
Physicsissuef
- 908
- 0
[tex]
\frac{{e}^{2ix}-{e}^{i2(n+1)x}}{1-{e}^{2ix}} \circ \frac{1-{e}^{-2ix}}{1-{e}^{-2ix}}[/tex]
How will I multiply all of this ? I have never learn to compute or multiply with Euler's formula.
How will I multiply all of this ? I have never learn to compute or multiply with Euler's formula.
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
- 26,254
- 623
Physicsissuef said:[tex] \frac{{e}^{2ix}-{e}^{i2(n+1)x}}{1-{e}^{2ix}} \circ \frac{1-{e}^{-2ix}}{1-{e}^{-2ix}}[/tex]
How will I multiply all of this ? I have never learn to compute or multiply with Euler's formula.
Oh, come on. There are just exponentials. Multiply them like you usually multiply exponentials.
Physicsissuef
- 908
- 0
[tex]
<br />
\frac{{e}^{2ix}-{e}^{i2(n+1)x}}{1-{e}^{2ix}} \circ \frac{1-{e}^{-2ix}}{1-{e}^{-2ix}}=\frac{{e}^{2ix}-{e}^{0}-{e}^{i2(n+1)x}+{e}^{i2nx}}{1-{e}^{-2ix}-{e}^{2ix}+{e}^{0}}[/tex]
Like this?
Like this?
Physicsissuef
- 908
- 0
[tex]\frac{(cos2x+isin2x)-(cos2(n+1)x+isin2(n+1)x)-1}{2(1-cos2x)}[/tex]
How will I solve this now?
How will I solve this now?
DavidWhitbeck
- 351
- 1
Dick is about to earn the 2008 award for homework helper just for this thread! What patience! :-)
Physicsissuef
- 908
- 0
[tex]\frac{cos2x+cos2nx-cos2(n+1)x-1}{2(1-cos2x)}+\frac{isin2x+isin2nx-isin2(n+1)x}{2(1-cos2x)}[/tex]
I have no idea how will I solve this.
I have no idea how will I solve this.
Last edited:
Physicsissuef
- 908
- 0
In my textbook results it is:
[tex]\frac{cos(n+1)xsin(nx)}{sinx}+i\frac{sin(n+1)xsin(nx)}{sinx}[/tex]
I am wondering how did they found this results...
[tex]\frac{cos(n+1)xsin(nx)}{sinx}+i\frac{sin(n+1)xsin(nx)}{sinx}[/tex]
I am wondering how did they found this results...
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
- 26,254
- 623
Physicsissuef said:In my textbook results it is:
[tex]\frac{cos(n+1)xsin(nx)}{sinx}+i\frac{sin(n+1)xsin(nx)}{sinx}[/tex]
I am wondering how did they found this results...
They used trig identities. It's the same thing you have written in a different form. Let's try and solve the problem first and then worry about how to simplify it.
Physicsissuef
- 908
- 0
I think I know how to solve it.
[tex]A=cos^2x+cos^22x+...+cos^2nx[/tex]
[tex]B=sin^2x+sin^22x+...+sin^2nx[/tex]
[tex]C=A+B[/tex]
[tex]D=A-B[/tex]
[tex]A=\frac{C+D}{2}[/tex]
[tex]B=\frac{C-D}{2}[/tex]
I found C
C=n
D is the real part of what we were doing now.
[tex]D=\frac{cos(n+1)xsin(nx)}{sinx}[/tex]
With substitution:
[tex]A=\frac{n+\frac{cos(n+1)xsin(nx)}{sinx}}{2}[/tex]
B is same just with opposite sign (instead of + it is -)
Am I right?
[tex]A=cos^2x+cos^22x+...+cos^2nx[/tex]
[tex]B=sin^2x+sin^22x+...+sin^2nx[/tex]
[tex]C=A+B[/tex]
[tex]D=A-B[/tex]
[tex]A=\frac{C+D}{2}[/tex]
[tex]B=\frac{C-D}{2}[/tex]
I found C
C=n
D is the real part of what we were doing now.
[tex]D=\frac{cos(n+1)xsin(nx)}{sinx}[/tex]
With substitution:
[tex]A=\frac{n+\frac{cos(n+1)xsin(nx)}{sinx}}{2}[/tex]
B is same just with opposite sign (instead of + it is -)
Am I right?
- 15,524
- 771
DavidWhitbeck said:Dick is about to earn the 2008 award for homework helper just for this thread! What patience! :-)
Does helping the exact same person on the exact same question with the exact same frustration level but in another forum count?
Similar threads
- Ascendant0
- · Replies 25 ·
- Precalculus Mathematics Homework Help
- Replies
- 25
- Mark53
- · Replies 5 ·
- Precalculus Mathematics Homework Help
- Replies
- 5
- stfz
- · Replies 2 ·
- Precalculus Mathematics Homework Help
- Replies
- 2
- terryds
- · Replies 24 ·
- Precalculus Mathematics Homework Help
- Replies
- 24
- Alettix
- · Replies 5 ·
- Precalculus Mathematics Homework Help
- Replies
- 5
- questionn
- · Replies 14 ·
- Precalculus Mathematics Homework Help
- Replies
- 14
- songoku
- · Replies 5 ·
- Precalculus Mathematics Homework Help
- Replies
- 5
- Superstring
- · Replies 9 ·
- Precalculus Mathematics Homework Help
- Replies
- 9
- jtart2
- · Replies 3 ·
- Precalculus Mathematics Homework Help
- Replies
- 3
- kieth89
- · Replies 6 ·
- Precalculus Mathematics Homework Help
- Replies
- 6