Sum of n elements of a finite set of integers, 1 through s

In summary, the conversation revolved around the problem of finding the probability of rolling a total t on n s-sided dice. The challenge lies in determining the number of combinations that will yield the desired sum, particularly when n+s \leq t \leq (n-1)s. The idea of using standardization to make the sum converge to a standard normal distribution was discussed, and the question of determining \sigma and \mu in terms of n, s, and t was raised. A helpful resource on the topic was also shared.
Nessalc
The general problem I'm trying to solve is the probability of rolling a total t on n s-sided dice. A good chunk of the problem is easy enough, but where I run into difficulty is this:

How many combinations of dice will yield a sum total of t? Because the number set is limited, [tex]{a \choose n-1}[/tex] (where [tex]a={n(s+1) \over 2} - \left|{n(s+1) \over 2} - t\right|[/tex]) no longer works when [tex]n+s \leq t \leq (n-1)s[/tex]. It is this region in the middle that interests me. Enumerating all combinations could be time-consuming, and, I expect, is entirely unnecessary. Is there a known formula for computing these numbers?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
sum of the m rolls diverges as m gets large. but we can use standardize to make it converge to standard normal distribution. this the weak law of large number says.

I'm not sure I understand what you're saying. The total t must be in the range [n, ns]. I am aware of the idea that it would probably converge to a normal distribution, but for [tex]{1 \over {\sqrt{2\pi\sigma^2}}} e^{-{{\left((x-{n(s+1) \over 2})-\mu\right)^2} \over {2\sigma^2}}}[/tex], what would [tex]\sigma[/tex] and [tex]\mu[/tex] be in terms of n, s and t?

That's exactly what I was looking for, thanks!

1. What is the formula for finding the sum of n elements of a finite set of integers from 1 through s?

The formula for finding the sum of n elements of a finite set of integers from 1 through s is: n/2 * (2 + (n-1)), where n is the number of elements and s is the highest integer in the set.

2. How do you calculate the sum of n elements of a finite set of integers from 1 through s?

To calculate the sum of n elements of a finite set of integers from 1 through s, you can use the formula n/2 * (2 + (n-1)). Alternatively, you can add up all the integers in the set starting from 1 to s and then multiply the sum by n.

3. What is the significance of finding the sum of n elements of a finite set of integers from 1 through s?

The sum of n elements of a finite set of integers from 1 through s can give us valuable information about the set. It can help us identify patterns, calculate averages, and make predictions about the data in the set.

4. Can the sum of n elements of a finite set of integers from 1 through s be negative?

No, the sum of n elements of a finite set of integers from 1 through s cannot be negative. This is because all the integers in the set are positive and adding them together will always result in a positive sum.

5. Is there a difference between the sum of n elements of a finite set of integers from 1 through s and the sum of n elements of a finite set of integers from s through 1?

Yes, there is a difference between the sum of n elements of a finite set of integers from 1 through s and the sum of n elements of a finite set of integers from s through 1. The order of the integers in the set affects the final sum, as the formula for calculating the sum is different depending on the starting and ending numbers.