(sum to infinity of divisor function)^{2} -- simplify the expression

In summary, the conversation discusses a question involving a divisor function and summations with indices n and k, as well as a mistake in the initial equation. The goal is to use a relation between two other functions to show a new relationship involving the divisor function. The conversation also includes some working and a potential issue with one of the equations.
binbagsss
Hi,
I have ## 120 \sum \limits_1^\infty (\sigma_{3}(n))^{2} ## , where ## \sigma_{3}(n) ## is a divisor function.
And I want to show that this can be written as ##120\sum \limits_{k=1}^{n-1} \sigma_{3}(k) \sigma_{3}(n-k) ##
I'm pretty stuck on ideas starting of to be honest, since the sum is infinite, any help much appreciated.
Many thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm wondering if there is a mistake in what you wrote. The first summation doesn't say what the index is. [itex]n[/itex]? There aren't any other indices to sum over.

Okay so in that case I'm assuming I have made a mistake so I will give the whole question instead

I have concluded that ##E_{4}(t){2}=E_{8}(t)## and I am wanting to use this to show that ##\sigma_{7}(n)=\sigma_{3}(n)+120\sum\limits^{n-1}_{k=1} \sigma_{3}(k)\sigma_{3}(n-k)##

where ##E_{8}(t)=1+480\sum\limits^{\infty}_{n=1} \sigma_{7}(n)q^{n}## and ##E_{4}(t)=1+240\sum\limits^{\infty}_{n=1} \sigma_{3}(n)q^{n}##

And so my working so far is

##E_{4}^{2}(t)-E_{8}(t)=0##
##(1+480\sum\limits^{\infty}_{n=1} \sigma_{7}(n)q^{n} -((1+480\sum\limits^{\infty}_{n=1} \sigma_{3}(n)q^{n})(1+480\sum\limits^{\infty}_{n=1} \sigma_{3}(n)q^{n}))

= 480\sum\limits^{\infty}_{n=1} \sigma_{7}(n)q^{n} - 480\sum\limits^{\infty}_{n=1} \sigma_{3}(n)q^{n}-240^{2}\sum\limits^{\infty}_{k=1} \sigma_{3}(k)q^{k} \sum\limits^{\infty}_{n=1} \sigma_{3}(n)q^{n}##

Divide by 480 and everything looks on track except this issue in my OP

##\sigma_{7}(n)q^{n}=q^{n}\sigma_{3}(n)+120\sum\limits^{\infty}_{k=1} \sigma_{3}(k)q^{k} \sum\limits^{\infty}_{n=1} \sigma_{3}(n)q^{n} ##

1. What is the divisor function?

The divisor function, denoted by σ(n), is a mathematical function that counts the number of positive divisors of a given integer n. For example, σ(12) = 6 because 12 has 6 positive divisors: 1, 2, 3, 4, 6, and 12.

2. What does it mean to "sum to infinity"?

When we say "sum to infinity" in mathematics, we mean that we are adding an infinite number of terms in a series. In this case, we are adding the values of the divisor function for all positive integers.

3. Why is the expression squared?

The expression is squared because we are taking the sum of the squares of the divisor function for all positive integers. This is a common way to manipulate mathematical expressions and often leads to simpler solutions.

4. How do you simplify the expression?

To simplify the expression, we can use the properties of the divisor function and the laws of exponents. For example, we can use the fact that σ(ab) = σ(a)σ(b) for relatively prime integers a and b. We can also use the identity σ(p) = p+1 for prime numbers p. By applying these properties, we can simplify the expression to σ(1)^2 + σ(2)^2 + σ(3)^2 + ... = 1^2 + 2^2 + 3^2 + ... = ∑n^2, which is a well-known infinite series with a known sum of π^2/6.

5. What is the significance of simplifying this expression?

Simplifying this expression can help us understand the behavior and properties of the divisor function. It also allows us to make connections to other mathematical concepts, such as infinite series and the Riemann zeta function. In addition, it can help us solve more complex problems and equations involving the divisor function.