Summary of the fundamental equations/laws

  • Level: Undergrad 
  • Thread starter Thread starter JoePhysics
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Fundamental
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 2K views
JoePhysics
Messages
58
Reaction score
22
Hey, all!

So, a friend of mine recently bought a shirt with a bunch of random, nonsensical formulas on them and it kind of seemed odd to me. So I had an idea for a T-shirt design with proper formulas... The basic, fundamental equations and laws of physics as we know them now.

So far I have Newton's laws, Lagrangian and Hamiltonian mechanics, Maxwell's equations, the laws of thermodynamics, Schrödinger's equation and Einstein's field equations for general relativity.

What else am I missing? What are the most general principles or equation(s) in QFT/QED?

Thanks in advance!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Dirac's equation. Navier-Stokes for fluid flow? Is the ideal gas law too trivial? Stefan-Boltzmann? (What size is this tee-shirt?)
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: JoePhysics
John Park said:
Dirac's equation. Navier-Stokes for fluid flow? Is the ideal gas law too trivial? Stefan-Boltzmann? (What size is this tee-shirt?)
Oh, Dirac's equation may be a good idea! Navier-Stokes is indeed important but not fundamental in the sense that it's conservation of linear momentum for a continuous medium coupled with the constitutive equation for a Newtonian and incompressible fluid; same for ideal gas law, it can be derived, and Stefan-Boltzmann can be derived from integrating Planck's law.

And I guess this is a normal-sized T-shirt? I don't know, maybe large size? :oldbiggrin:
 
How about Emmy Noether's theorem: A statement about symmetries of differential equation is the most fundamental subject I can think about, because it carries the way we try to understand nature: by symmetries and dynamics.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: JoePhysics
fresh_42 said:
How about Emmy Noether's theorem: A statement about symmetries of differential equation is the most fundamental subject I can think about, because it carries the way we try to understand nature: by symmetries and dynamics.
That is a very good point!