1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Summary of the fundamental equations/laws

1. Mar 11, 2017 #1
    Hey, all!

So, a friend of mine recently bought a shirt with a bunch of random, nonsensical formulas on them and it kind of seemed odd to me. So I had an idea for a T-shirt design with proper formulas... The basic, fundamental equations and laws of physics as we know them now.

So far I have Newton's laws, Lagrangian and Hamiltonian mechanics, Maxwell's equations, the laws of thermodynamics, Schrödinger's equation and Einstein's field equations for general relativity.

What else am I missing? What are the most general principles or equation(s) in QFT/QED?

Thanks in advance!

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 11, 2017 #2
    Dirac's equation. Navier-Stokes for fluid flow? Is the ideal gas law too trivial? Stefan-Boltzmann? (What size is this tee-shirt?)

4. Mar 11, 2017 #3
    Oh, Dirac's equation may be a good idea! Navier-Stokes is indeed important but not fundamental in the sense that it's conservation of linear momentum for a continuous medium coupled with the constitutive equation for a Newtonian and incompressible fluid; same for ideal gas law, it can be derived, and Stefan-Boltzmann can be derived from integrating Planck's law.

And I guess this is a normal-sized T-shirt? I don't know, maybe large size? :oldbiggrin:

5. Mar 11, 2017 #4

fresh_42

Staff: Mentor

How about Emmy Noether's theorem: A statement about symmetries of differential equation is the most fundamental subject I can think about, because it carries the way we try to understand nature: by symmetries and dynamics.

6. Mar 11, 2017 #5
    That is a very good point!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted