Summary of the Universe (2019 version)

• I
  • Thread starter IvanC
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Universe
In summary, The universe is made up of fields, specifically quantum fields and the spacetime field of gravity. These fields interact with each other and particles are energized states in the field. There are two types of quantum fields: fermion fields which produce matter and boson fields which produce force. Some possible areas for further exploration and clarification include the specific types of particles and fields, as well as the source of this information.
IvanC
TL;DR Summary
Attempt at summary of what our universe is made of (based on Quantum field theory)
As a newbie, I'd welcome your input into this summary of mine. I want to establish some firm foundations (or as firm as possible). Seems like a good way of learning the basics...

Our universe consists of fields and nothing else, i.e. quantum fields and the spacetime field (gravity).
All fields interact with each other.
Particles are energised states (or quanta) in the field.

Quantum fields are:
- fermion fields: quark, electron and neutrino fields. These fields produce matter.
and
- boson fields: strong (gluon), electromagnetic (photon), weak (Z,W), higgs (H particle). These fields produce force.

In the above summary, what is disputed, wrong or missing?
Thanks, Ivan

Physics news on Phys.org
IvanC said:
Summary: Attempt at summary of what our universe is made of (based on Quantum field theory)

As a newbie, I'd welcome your input into this summary of mine.
When it comes to particles, I think you would be better off thinking along these line; IMO.
http://pdglive.lbl.gov/Viewer.action

1. What is the current understanding of the origin of the universe?

The current understanding of the origin of the universe is the Big Bang theory. This theory states that the universe began as a singularity, a single point of infinite density and temperature, approximately 13.8 billion years ago. The universe has been expanding and cooling ever since.

2. How do scientists measure the age of the universe?

Scientists use a variety of methods to measure the age of the universe, including studying the cosmic microwave background radiation, the oldest light in the universe, and measuring the distances and movements of galaxies. These methods have led to the current estimate of the universe's age at 13.8 billion years.

3. What is the composition of the universe?

The universe is primarily composed of dark matter and dark energy, which make up about 95% of the total mass-energy of the universe. The remaining 5% is made up of ordinary matter, including atoms, stars, planets, and galaxies.

4. Is the universe still expanding?

Yes, the universe is still expanding. In fact, the expansion of the universe is accelerating due to the presence of dark energy. This expansion is causing galaxies to move away from each other at increasing speeds.

5. Are there other universes besides our own?

There are various theories and hypotheses about the existence of other universes, but there is currently no scientific evidence to support their existence. Some theories, such as the multiverse theory, suggest the possibility of parallel universes, but further research and evidence are needed to confirm their existence.