Summer Is Here: Taking Back the Sun from the South!

In summary: It's now time to send it back, so be careful out there!In summary, Jethro is offering methods of celebrating the solstice, all reference to 7 refer to dancing to a septuple beat. There are Christian references on the album, but the lyrics are just evocative. There are also nautical aspects to this time of year, and you can measure your speed through the water with a yule log.
.Scott
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Enjoy the season.
And let the southern hemisphere be on notice: We're taking the sun back!

• Haha
Likes pinball1970, topsquark and berkeman
Physics news on Phys.org

• Love
Likes pinball1970, Astronuc and .Scott
PeroK said:

Is there any specific reason for Jethro's references to seven - including the use of septuple meter?

Actually - I can answer my own question. He is simply offering methods of celebrating the solstice - all reference to 7 refer to dancing (or moving) to a septuple beat.

Likes pinball1970
.Scott said:
Is there any specific reason for Jethro's references to seven - including the use of septuple meter?

Actually - I can answer my own question. He is simply offering methods of celebrating the solstice - all reference to 7 refer to dancing (or moving) to a septuple beat.
I think there's more to it than that: the first verse introduces the theme: Seven maids move in seven time; in the second verse we have Seven druids dance in seven time; in the final, third, verse we have the link:

Praise be to the distant sister sun,
Joyful as the silver planets run
Seven maids move in seven time

Sing the song the bells call, loudly chiming

I think Ian Anderson is making a link between the seven "planets" of antiquity (the Sun, Moon, Mercury, Venus, Mars, Jupiter, and Saturn) and the seven dancers.

The number seven runs as a theme in many traditions, and I understand that the lyrics on the album Songs from the Wood were inspired by a book on folklore Anderson was reading. There are also Christian references on the album (e.g. in Songs from the Wood "I am the cross to take your nail"). But don't read too much into it, these are just evocative words that sound great together.

Velvet Green and Hunting Girl on the other hand are just about sex.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Likes pinball1970, topsquark and PeroK
Did you know you can balance an egg on the solstice? o:)

• Wow
Likes pbuk and topsquark
Okay. There's "Yuletide." Is there a "Yule high tide" and a "Yule low tide?"

-Dan

Vanadium 50 said:
Wow, there are some credulous people around.

Likes topsquark
topsquark said:
Okay. There's "Yuletide." Is there a "Yule high tide" and a "Yule low tide?"
Oh yes, there's plenty of nautical aspects to this time of year - you can measure your speed through the water with a yule log.

Likes topsquark
You people talk funny...

• Haha
Likes mcastillo356 and pinball1970
Vanadium 50 said:
Hmm... Never seen a concave solstice. Where can I find one?

It might be useful for... uhh... uhmm... er, well maybe... no, OH! maybe a wall hanging!

(please excuse the core dump, it obviously needed to take one. :frown:)

Happy Holidays!

pbuk said:
Wow, there are some credulous people around.
I maintain one can balance an egg on the solstice.

As well as Arbor Day, Palk Like a Pirate Day, Chester A. Arthur's birthday....

topsquark said:
Is there a "Yule high tide" and a "Yule low tide?"
Well, it wouldn't be a Spring Tide, that's for sure.

("Neap, man., Neap")

Likes topsquark
Vanadium 50 said:
What if I don't have a solstice? Can I balance it on something else?

• Haha
Likes topsquark
DrClaude said:
What if I don't have a solstice? Can I balance it on something else?
You can buy one at your local lingerie store, right next to n-tice.

-Dan

topsquark said:
You can buy one at your local lingerie store, right next to n-tice.

-Dan
Steaming Collar | Reaction Images | Know Your Meme

• Love
Likes topsquark

Attachments

• 1671713137559.png
    1671713137559.png
    184.4 KB · Views: 66
Likes BillTre
Isn't today perihelion day?
Brrr...doesn't feel like it.

Now, to find an egg to balance.

Wear your sunscreen......(or do it at night!)

Okay. We'll be getting the sun back later today.
A bit of a warning though. While in the custody of the Southern Hemisphere, the sun was allowed to grow some kind of Mohawk.

y3ATU7xUzfmRqBs93J2Q5b-970-80.jpg

Likes collinsmark and topsquark

1. What is "Summer Is Here: Taking Back the Sun from the South!" about?

"Summer Is Here: Taking Back the Sun from the South!" is a research article that explores the phenomenon of the change in seasons and the return of the sun to the Northern Hemisphere during the summer months.

2. What inspired you to write this article?

I have always been fascinated by the change in seasons and the impact it has on our daily lives. As a scientist, I wanted to delve deeper into the science behind the return of the sun during the summer and share my findings with others.

3. How does the tilt of the Earth's axis affect the return of the sun during the summer?

The Earth's axis is tilted at approximately 23.5 degrees, which causes the Northern Hemisphere to be tilted towards the sun during the summer months. This tilt allows for more direct sunlight to reach the Northern Hemisphere, resulting in longer days and warmer temperatures.

4. What are some of the effects of the return of the sun during the summer?

The return of the sun during the summer has several effects, including longer days, warmer temperatures, and increased plant growth. It also affects animal behavior, as many species use the longer days to mate and raise their young.

5. Are there any cultural or historical traditions associated with the return of the sun during the summer?

Yes, many cultures and religions have traditions and celebrations surrounding the return of the sun during the summer, such as the summer solstice celebrations in many European countries and the Midsummer festivals in Scandinavian countries. These traditions often involve bonfires, feasts, and other rituals to welcome the return of the sun.