Summing Divergent Series and Borel Summation

In summary: ThanksIn summary, the conversation discusses the concept of summing divergent series and its relation to dimensional re-normalization and zeta function regularization. The technique of Borel summation is mentioned, which involves using analytic continuation to remove singularities and divergences in a power series. The conversation also delves into the application of Fubini's Theorem and the limitations of summation methods in cases where the convergence radius is zero. Overall, the conversation highlights the importance of understanding the underlying mathematical properties and assumptions behind summation methods in order to accurately and effectively deal with divergent series.
I have recently been investigating summing divergent series and zeta function regularization's relation to dimensional re-normalization. Making some progress, but it is a bit slow despite literature being available:
https://www.imperial.ac.uk/media/im.../dissertations/2009/Nicolas-Robles-Thesis.pdf

Anyway part of this has been sorting out exactly what is going on with summing divergent series? I was particularly struck by a technique often used in normal QM - Borel Summation. As background see some stuff by Carl Bender:
https://arxiv.org/abs/1703.05164

So let's start at the beginning. Consider the sinc function sine(x)/x. Most would say it's continuous - but is it really? Well at 0 its 0/0 which is undefined - some books call it a singularity - but that's not the terminology I would use - simply undefined - but I will call it a singularity to conform with other sources. Using l'hopital its removable and its value at 0 is defined as 1 so its continuous. Most wouldn't even think about it - but strictly speaking its a removable singularity.

Here is an interesting question - if you can remove singularities can you remove divergences? The surprising answer is yes. In general here is how its done. Suppose ∑a(n)*x^n has some radius of convergence. Above that radius its divergent. But at least in some cases can those divergences be removed? Yes it can, by using what's called analytic continuation. If you don't know about this bit of magic here is a primer (including some information on Borel summation - but not at the level I would like):
https://www.colorado.edu/amath/sites/default/files/attached-files/pade_analytic_continuation.pdf

I couldn't find any sources that satisfied me, so needed to figure it out myself.

Here is what's I nutted out - which could be wrong. Suppose you have ∑a(n) then Σa(n)*n!/n! = Σa(n)*(∫t^n*e^-t)/n!, using Γ(n+1) = n!. Let's formally interchange the integral and sum and you get ∑a(n) = ∫∑(a(n)/n!)*(t^n*e^-t). This is called the Borel sum. If limit n → ∞ |a(n+1)/a(n)| is < 1 ie ∑a(n) is absolutely convergent, then the power series ∑(a(n)/n!)*t^n has an infinite radius of convergence because of that n! in the denominator. This means ∑|a(n)|/n!)*(t^n*e^-t) < ∞ for all t, so is encouraging. The issue is reversing the order of sum and integral. You can consider the sum as an integral of a function where the value at n is f(n), where f(n) is a series. Then you can apply Fubini's Theorem to Σ∫|a(n)|*(t^n*e^-t)/n! < ∞. Its < ∞ because a(n) is absolutely convergent so the interchange is justified.

All right so what do we have. Consider the power series ∑a(n)*x^n with a radius of convergence <=1 which means it may be divergent at x = 1. But doing Borel summation we have ∫∑(a(n)/n!)*(xt)^n*e^-t) and equals ∑a(n)*x^n in its radius of convergence. This means you should be able to analytically continue it to x =1, and since analytic continuations are basically unique the Borel summation is the analytic continuation of ∑a(n)*x^n. So on setting x =1 we have ∑a(n) = ∫Σa(n)*(t^n)*e^-t)/n!.

So that's it - basically Borel Summation, and divergent summation in general, is just analytic continuation.

Now have to get back to sorting out dimensional re-normalization and zeta function regularization, but now I at least understand the general principle.

Thanks
Bill

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
bhobba said:
Then you can apply Fubini's Theorem
When the original series is divergent you cannot apply Fubini's theorem, since it asserts that both sides are meaningful beforehand.

The point of any summation method with some mathematical theory behind is that you assume some additional global mathematical property about the given function, e.g., an integral representation such as in the Borel summation formula. One first shows that this property implies that the function is infinitely often differentiable and hence has a Taylor series. Then one shows that the coefficients of the Taylor series determine the function completely. Thus having the coefficients one has the function, independent of any convergence statement for the Taylor series.

Of course any summation method is only as good for a particular application as the assumptions that go into it fit this application. This has to be so since the same formal power series is asymptotic to uncountably many different functions. For example, the formal power series with all coefficients zero is summed by any reasonable summation method (including Borel summation and zeta function regularization) to the zero function, although it also arises by Taylor expansion of the ##C^\infty## function defined for any ##a>0## by ##f(0)=0## and ##f(x)=e^{-a/x^2}## for ##x\ne0##.

Last edited:
Likes bhobba
A. Neumaier said:
When the original series is divergent you cannot apply Fubini's theorem, since it asserts that both sides are meaningful beforehand.

Yes but I assumed ∑a(n) was absolutely convergent so ∑|a(n)| = Σ∫|a(n)|*(t^n*e^-t)/n! < ∞ and Fubini is applicable. The rest of your post is course all true.

The deep answer of course is Watsons Lemma which I didn't want to get into due to the I nature of the thread.

BTW thanks for commenting - I am on my own here - the literature I have read didn't satisfy me and a mathematician looking at it is is very helpful.

Thanks
Bill

bhobba said:
but I assumed ∑a(n) was absolutely convergent
The divergent series in quantum physics usually don't have this property; the convergence radius is usually zero.
bhobba said:
basically Borel Summation, and divergent summation in general, is just analytic continuation.
If the convergence radius is zero your argument breaks down completely and you cannot analytically continue.

Likes bhobba
A. Neumaier said:
The divergent series in quantum physics usually don't have this property; the convergence radius is usually zero. If the convergence radius is zero your argument breaks down completely and you cannot analytically continue.

Drat's - but you saved me a lot of work.

Thanks
Bill

1. What is the concept of "summing divergent series" and what does it mean?

Summing divergent series is a mathematical technique used to assign a value to a divergent series, which is a series whose terms do not approach a finite limit as the number of terms increases. It involves using various mathematical methods, such as Borel summation, to assign a meaningful value to these series.

2. How does Borel summation work to sum divergent series?

Borel summation is a method that uses the Borel transform to assign a value to a divergent series. The Borel transform converts the series into an integral, which can then be evaluated to give a finite value. This value is considered to be the Borel sum of the series.

3. Can all divergent series be summed using Borel summation?

No, not all divergent series can be summed using Borel summation. This method only works for series that have a Borel transform that can be evaluated to give a finite value. If the Borel transform does not exist or cannot be evaluated, then Borel summation cannot be used.

4. How is Borel summation different from other methods of summing divergent series?

Borel summation is different from other methods, such as Cesàro summation and Abel summation, because it uses the Borel transform instead of other summation methods. It is also considered to be more powerful and versatile as it can be used for a wider range of divergent series.

5. What are some practical applications of summing divergent series using Borel summation?

Summing divergent series using Borel summation has various practical applications in mathematics and physics. It is used in theoretical physics, particularly in quantum mechanics, to assign a value to divergent integrals. It is also used in the study of dynamical systems and in the theory of differential equations.