Summing the Series: $\sum (1+2^n)/3^n$

  • Thread starter Thread starter fsm
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Series
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 2K views
fsm
Messages
88
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


[tex]\sum (1+2^n)/3^n[/tex]

Find its sum


Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution


I don't know how to figure this one out. I took the limit and it was zero so I know it converges. I don't know where to start on this one. The answer is 5/2.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
And just because the the terms approach zero, the series always convergent. Think of the harmonic series.
 
Typo? I'm quite sure Gib Z meant "just because the terms approach zero, the series is not always convergent". Yes, this particular series converges but your statement " I took the limit (of the sequence of terms) and it was zero so I know it converges" does not follow.
The fact that the limit of the sequence of terms goes to zero is necessary for convergence but not sufficient.