Convergence of \sum{\frac{2^n}{3^n - 1}} using the limit comparison test

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
phosgene
Messages
145
Reaction score
1

Homework Statement



Use the limit comparison test to determine whether the following series converges or diverges.

[itex]\sum{\frac{2^n}{3^n - 1}}[/itex]

Where the sum is from n = 1 to n = ∞.

Homework Equations



The limit comparison test:

Suppose an>0 and bn>0 for all n. If the limit of an/bn=c, where c>0, then the two series [itex]\sum{a_{n}}[/itex] and [itex]\sum{b_{n}}[/itex] either both converge or both diverge.

The Attempt at a Solution



So I get that the point is to find another series that you know diverges or converges that will also make the above limit easy to evaluate. All I can think to do is to compare it to something like [itex]\sum{1/3^n}[/itex] or [itex]\sum{2^n}[/itex], the first of which results in the limit not existing and the second of which results in the limit being zero. I think it's obvious that the series should converge, as the denominator is always equal to or greater than the numerator. But I'm out of ideas on what other sums I could use in the limit comparison test.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Compare it to
[tex]\sum \frac{2^n}{3^n}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{2^n}{3^n}\cdot\frac{3^n-1}{2^n}[/tex]
[tex]\frac{3^n}{3^n} - \frac{1}{3^n}[/tex]
[tex]1- \frac{1}{3^n}[/tex]
With limit n->infinity, this = 1
 
Last edited:
LANS said:
Compare it to
[tex]\sum \frac{2^n}{3^n}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{2^n}{3^n}\cdot\frac{3^n-1}{2^n}[/tex]
[tex]\frac{3^n}{3^n} - \frac{1}{3^n}[/tex]
[tex]1- \frac{1}{3^n}[/tex]
With limit n->infinity, this = 1

Not quite, although the limit of the ratio is equal to 1. There are a few mistakes, in my opinion:

First, the ratio is wrong. It should be ##u_n/v_n## or in the OP's equation ##a_n/b_n##. You've done the opposite. (A condition is missing in this case: c<∞)

Second, the limit is obtained using L'Hopital's rule.

Third, [itex]\sum_{n=1}^{\infty} \frac{2^n}{3^n}[/itex] is in fact a geometric series.

It should be easy now to form the final conclusion.
 
Last edited:
Doh! That should've been my next try. I got too caught up trying to do the same thing I was doing for the preceding questions. Thanks for the help guys :)