Sums of Legendre Symbols Question

In summary, the proposition states that for any odd prime p and any integer a (except when a is zero), the sum of (\frac{i^2+a}{p}) for i from 0 to p-1 is equal to -1. This has been observed to be true in various examples using Mathematica, and has also been mentioned in the exercises of Ireland and Rosen on page 63. However, it should be noted that in the formula, the integer a should not be zero, as it would result in a different sum.
doubleaxel195
Proposition:

[tex]\sum_{i=0}^{p-1} (\frac{i^2+a}{p})=-1[/tex] for any odd prime p and any integer a. (I am referring to the Legendre Symbol).

I was reading a paper where they claimed it was true for the a=1 case and referred to a source that I don't have immediate access to. So I was wondering if anyone knows if this is true or a source that talks about this? I know it doesn't mean it's necessarily true, but this proposition has been true with all the examples I've looked at with Mathematica. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Nevermind, I found this in the exercises of Ireland and Rosen on page 63. Just thought I would post where I found it in case anyone else needs to know.

In your formula, the integer a should not be zero, because

[tex]\sum_{i=0}^{p-1} (\frac{i^2}{p})=p-1[/tex]

(Note: [tex](\frac{0}{p}) = 0[/tex] for p > 2 and
[tex](\frac{x^2}{p})= 1[/tex] for gcd(x,p)=1)

Last edited:
RamaWolf said:
In your formula, the integer a should not be zero, because

[tex]\sum_{i=0}^{p-1} (\frac{i^2}{p})=p-1[/tex]

(Note: [tex](\frac{0}{p}) = 0[/tex] for p > 2 and
[tex](\frac{x^2}{p})= 1[/tex] for gcd(x,p)=1)

Even if the integer is zero modulo p the formula works, since [itex]\,p-1=-1\pmod p[/itex]

DonAntonio

I would first commend the individual for seeking clarification and additional sources to support their understanding of the proposition. In mathematics and science, it is always important to verify claims and seek out evidence to support them.

In this case, the proposition appears to be true based on the examples provided and the fact that it is a well-known property of Legendre symbols. However, I would suggest consulting a more comprehensive source, such as a textbook on number theory or a reputable mathematical journal, to confirm the validity of the statement.

Furthermore, it is important to note that while the proposition may hold true for all the examples examined, it does not necessarily mean that it is universally true for all cases. It is always possible that there may be counterexamples or exceptions that have not been considered. Therefore, it is important to continue researching and seeking out evidence to support or refute the proposition.

In conclusion, I would encourage the individual to continue their investigation and consult additional sources to gain a deeper understanding of this proposition. It is through critical thinking and thorough research that we can confidently make claims and contribute to the advancement of scientific knowledge.

1. What is a Legendre Symbol?

A Legendre Symbol is a mathematical function used in number theory to determine whether a given integer is a quadratic residue modulo a prime number. It is denoted as \(\left(\frac{a}{p}\right)\), where \(a\) is the integer and \(p\) is the prime number.

2. How is the sum of Legendre Symbols calculated?

The sum of Legendre Symbols is calculated using a formula known as the quadratic reciprocity law. This law states that the Legendre Symbol of the product of two numbers is equal to the product of the Legendre Symbols of the individual numbers. It is written as \(\left(\frac{ab}{p}\right) = \left(\frac{a}{p}\right)\left(\frac{b}{p}\right)\).

3. What are some properties of Legendre Symbols?

Some properties of Legendre Symbols include that they are either 1 or -1, they are multiplicative, and they follow the law of quadratic reciprocity. They also have a symmetry property, where \(\left(\frac{a}{p}\right) = \left(\frac{p-a}{p}\right)\).

4. How are Legendre Symbols used in cryptography?

Legendre Symbols are used in cryptography to help determine whether two numbers are relatively prime. This is important in certain encryption algorithms, as it can make it more difficult for someone to decrypt a message without knowing the secret key.

5. Are there any other applications of Legendre Symbols?

Yes, Legendre Symbols have applications in various fields of mathematics, such as number theory, algebra, and cryptography. They are also used in prime number generation and in solving certain types of equations, such as quadratic congruences.