Super elastic collision between two objects

In summary, the conversation discusses solving a physics problem involving a mass fired from a spring and colliding with another object. The goal is to find the distance the spring must be compressed for the second object to reach a specific point. The conversation mentions using the conservation of energy law and solving for the speed of the second object and how it relates to the speed of the first object. The conversation also provides some useful hints and mentions successfully solving the problem with a final answer of 5.8 cm.
noffya
Hello,
I have difficulties with this problem:

The body mass m1 = 20 g is fired with a spring, k = 72 N / m from position A. On arrival at point B hits completely elastic body mass m2 = 15 g.

Find the distance x of compressed spring so that the mass m2 reaches point C separated a distance d = 90 cm from point O. Data: h = 25 cm.

I was trying to do the calculations and camera up with these:
Since momentum P and cinetic energy are constant therefore m1*v0=m1v1+m2v2 and 1/2m1v0=1/2m1v1 +1/2m2v2
To find the v2 of the object m2 I apply conservation of energy law and it sums up to 1/2m2v2 = m2gh

After making calculations I get stuck and I think I'm missing something.
Please give an advice with this.
Thanks

Attachments

• 1389455371034.jpg
    1389455371034.jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 464
Physics news on Phys.org
Ask yourself: How fast must m2 have been going to land at point C?

Here are some useful things which I will leave for you to find (if you get stuck, ill show you how).

1. How fast does m2 have to go? (Kinematics)
2. If m2 has to go "v" meters per second, how fast would m_1 need to go right before they collide?
3. F=-kx, and F=ma, so the spring provides an acceleration to m_1 when released. How does this affect m1's speed

oneplusone said:
Here are some useful things which I will leave for you to find (if you get stuck, ill show you how).

2. If m2 has to go "v" meters per second, how fast would m_1 need to go right before they collide?
3. F=-kx, and F=ma, so the spring provides an acceleration to m_1 when released. How does this affect m1's speed

Doc Al said:
Ask yourself: How fast must m2 have been going to land at point C?
Thanks for hints!

oneplusone said:

Got it. I applied energy conservation law at step 3 and got the x equals 5.8cm
Thanks a lot!

1. What is a super elastic collision between two objects?

A super elastic collision between two objects is a type of collision where the total kinetic energy of the system is conserved. This means that both objects rebound with the same speed after colliding, even if one of the objects is significantly more massive than the other.

2. How is a super elastic collision different from an elastic collision?

In an elastic collision, the total kinetic energy of the system is also conserved, but the objects involved do not rebound with the same speed. Instead, the speed of each object after the collision depends on their masses and initial velocities.

3. What are some examples of super elastic collisions in real life?

One example of a super elastic collision is when a hockey player hits a puck with their stick. The puck rebounds with almost the same speed as the stick, even though the stick is much more massive. Another example is when two pool balls collide, as long as there is no spin on the balls, they will rebound with the same speed.

4. Is a super elastic collision possible in all types of collisions?

No, a super elastic collision is only possible in certain types of collisions where the objects involved are able to deform and then return to their original shape, such as in collisions between solid objects or particles.

5. How is the coefficient of restitution related to super elastic collisions?

The coefficient of restitution is a measure of the elasticity of a collision. In a super elastic collision, the coefficient of restitution is equal to 1, meaning that the objects involved rebound with the same speed. In other types of collisions, the coefficient of restitution will be less than 1.