Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Superconductivity in fullerides

1. Apr 11, 2007 #1
    I apologise if this is in the wrong subforum.

I'm having a lot of trouble determining how superconductivity works in the fulleride K3C60. I've looked at so many articles that explain the debate over the mechanism (ie electron-phonon coupling and electron-electron interactions), but each article gives an extremely detailed and mathematical explanation that I cannot comprehend.

I was wondering if anyone could provide any resources or explanations that are much easier to understand.

I would really appreciate any help.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 11, 2007 #2
    Have you looked into BCS theory?

4. Apr 11, 2007 #3
    Yes, but it appears too mathematical and too long. I only have a high school version of it- how the moving of electrons through the lattice causes a distortion, hwich in turn results in the emission of phonons. This essentially causes an increase in postive charge around the electron as the lattice kind of bends towards it, and then another electron becomes involved to form a cooper pair.

All experiments indicate that fullerides undergo superconductivity the conventional way, but then it gets into inter/intramolecular modes and vibrations that I really don't understand.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?