Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Supergravity, does anyone work on it now?

1. Jul 16, 2012 #1
    It is with immense pleasure that I came across this passage in Brief History of Time. I remember reading this sentence when I was 16 but in the last 20 years I had forgotten where I read it. The only thing I could remember was that there were some physics calculations which took 3 years to complete and no one had the courage to take them on. Now I've found that passage again. I guess I did read BHOT when I was 16 and moreover I got to the end since this passage is in the final pages. I didn't understand the book though and probably just plowed through it just to say I had done it.

My question is did anyone ever do these calculations? Was it eventually discovered to be a dead-end anyway? Did they ever build better computers to help out with the calculations?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 17, 2012 #2

atyy

Science Advisor

4. Jul 18, 2012 #3

tom.stoer

Science Advisor

You can do "SUGRA on its own", or "SUGRA derived from strings"; strings indicate that not arbitrary low-energy theories (gauge-, SUSY/gauge-, SUGRA-theories) are possible (consistent with gravity), but only those which follow from string / M-theory; the others are called "swampland".

http://arxiv.org/abs/hep-th/0509212

Afaik Nicolai is still working on N=8 SUGRA related to E(10) and E(11) - whatever this means ;-)

Maximal N=8 SUGRA w/o relation to string theory is studied in order to understand whether it's well definied in perturbation theory - which would be an indication that it may be a viable theory of gravity w/o taking strings into account. Bern, Kallosh et al. are working on perturbative renormalizibility (even finiteness) of N=8 SUGRA.

Finiteness at all orders does not mean that the theory need to be consistent non-perturbatively b/c renormalizibility or finiteness at all orders does *not* imply convergence of the perturbation series. Therefore SUGRA may still require an UV completion; whether this could be strings or M-theory or something else is unclear to me, simply b/c neither have string / M-theory (whatever it may be) been shown to be renormalizable or finite to all orders, nor has it been possible to address a construction of these theories non-perturbatively.

So b/c we do not know if strings can redeem their promises it makes sense to study SUGRA as an alternative w/o any relation to strings.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2012
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook