Superposition of moments of Inertia

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 12K views
Momentum09
Messages
69
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



Consider a thin rod of length L which is pivoted at one end. A uniform density spherical object (whose mass is m and radius is r = 1/6L) is attached to the free end of the rod. The moment of inertia of the rod about an end if I = 1/3 mL^2. The moment of inertia of the sphere about its center of mass is I = 2/5 mr^2. Determine the moment of inertia, I, of the rod plus mass system with respect to the pivot point.

Homework Equations



I system = I rod + I sphere + parallel axis contribution


The Attempt at a Solution



1/3ML^2 + 2/5 M(1/6L)^2 + M(L+1/6L)^2

This is what I got, but is not quite right. Can someone please tell me what terms I left out? Thank you!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
The center of mass of the sphere is at the end of the rod at distance L. So doesn't that make the parallel axis contribution of the sphere ML^2? Why the L/6 part?
 
because I thought that the radius 1/6L has to be added onto the length of the rod...
 
I guess it depends on whether you glue the sphere to the end of the rod or drill a hole in the sphere to attach the rod at the center of the sphere. Are there any pictures that might suggest which?
 
End to outside of sphere? Not end to center? Then I think you are right. Either answer could be correct depending on how you connect them.