1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Superposition of moments of Inertia

1. Jul 11, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Consider a thin rod of length L which is pivoted at one end. A uniform density spherical object (whose mass is m and radius is r = 1/6L) is attached to the free end of the rod. The moment of inertia of the rod about an end if I = 1/3 mL^2. The moment of inertia of the sphere about its center of mass is I = 2/5 mr^2. Determine the moment of inertia, I, of the rod plus mass sytem with respect to the pivot point.

2. Relevant equations

I system = I rod + I sphere + parallel axis contribution

3. The attempt at a solution

1/3ML^2 + 2/5 M(1/6L)^2 + M(L+1/6L)^2

This is what I got, but is not quite right. Can someone please tell me what terms I left out? Thank you!

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 11, 2007 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The center of mass of the sphere is at the end of the rod at distance L. So doesn't that make the parallel axis contribution of the sphere ML^2? Why the L/6 part?

4. Jul 11, 2007 #3
    because I thought that the radius 1/6L has to be added onto the length of the rod...

5. Jul 11, 2007 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I guess it depends on whether you glue the sphere to the end of the rod or drill a hole in the sphere to attach the rod at the center of the sphere. Are there any pictures that might suggest which?

6. Jul 11, 2007 #5
    I think it's just connected end to end.

7. Jul 11, 2007 #6

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

End to outside of sphere? Not end to center? Then I think you are right. Either answer could be correct depending on how you connect them.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?