Superposition/Wave function inside blackhole

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of the event horizon of a black hole and its relation to quantum mechanics. It is mentioned that there can be no conscious observer within the event horizon and that all matter within it is in superposition. The question of whether a black hole can be considered a particle in a box is also brought up. However, it is noted that while the event horizon may be analogous to the infinite potential of a box, the energy eigenstates in a black hole are not as easily calculated. Additionally, it is mentioned that black holes do radiate information, making them not entirely isolated systems.
Derrezed
So I am just starting to understand QM and relating it to my own ideas...

Within the event horizon of a black hole there can be no conscience observer, so all matter held within would be in superposition and in no way could we collapse the wave function of a particle. So doesn't that mean all mass within would need to be considered waves and not particles? I mean i know all matter is both waves and particles but basically this means in no way could a singularity be considered to have a definite point in space. Or am I missing something?

Physics news on Phys.org
Derrezed said:
So I am just starting to understand QM and relating it to my own ideas...

Within the event horizon of a black hole there can be no conscience observer...

This is not true. There is no singularity at the horizon. It is just the point of no return. You could enter the event horizon of a super-massive black hole and die a peaceful death of old age. If the black hole is large enough it could contain entire (doomed) civilizations.

SkippyPS The rest of your question involves the nature of the "wave function"; physically real wave or mathematical object describing my knowledge of a quantum system. Many discussions of this on this forum. It is not a settled question.

skippy1729 said:
This is not true. There is no singularity at the horizon. It is just the point of no return. You could enter the event horizon of a super-massive black hole and die a peaceful death of old age. If the black hole is large enough it could contain entire (doomed) civilizations.

Skippy
But for those of us outside the event horizon there is no way to observe what's inside? cause it is the point of no return for all matter and waves so no information leaves it.

Derrezed said:
But for those of us outside the event horizon there is no way to observe what's inside? cause it is the point of no return for all matter and waves so no information leaves it.

Yes, this is true.

Hmm... this question does make me wonder though. Is a black hole a perfect example of a particle in a box?

Runner 1 said:
Hmm... this question does make me wonder though. Is a black hole a perfect example of a particle in a box?

In that it can't escape, yes, and you can consider the event-horizon analogous to the "infinite potential" of the box. But the point of a particle in a box is that it's very easy to calculate the energy eigenstate wavefunctions. I somehow doubt it'll be the case in a black hole.

Also, you'll recall that black holes radiate information, after all. So not entirely an isolated system.

1. What is superposition in the context of black holes?

Superposition is a quantum mechanical concept that describes the state of a system as being in multiple states simultaneously. In the context of black holes, it refers to the idea that the particles and matter that make up a black hole can exist in multiple states at the same time.

2. How does superposition relate to the wave function inside a black hole?

The wave function inside a black hole describes the probability of finding a particle at a certain location within the black hole. Superposition is important because it allows for the possibility of the particle being in multiple locations at the same time, as described by the wave function.

3. Can we observe superposition and the wave function inside a black hole?

No, we cannot directly observe superposition or the wave function inside a black hole. This is because the extreme gravitational pull of a black hole makes it impossible for any information, including light, to escape. Therefore, we can only make theoretical predictions about what may be happening inside a black hole.

4. How does the concept of superposition and the wave function inside a black hole impact our understanding of the universe?

The concept of superposition and the wave function inside a black hole is important in our understanding of the quantum nature of the universe. It suggests that at the smallest scales, particles can exist in multiple states simultaneously, challenging our traditional understanding of cause and effect. It also highlights the limitations of our current theories, such as general relativity, in fully describing the behavior of matter and energy within black holes.

5. Is there ongoing research and exploration into superposition and the wave function inside black holes?

Yes, there is ongoing research and exploration into superposition and the wave function inside black holes. Scientists are using advanced mathematical models and simulations to better understand the behavior of matter and energy within black holes. Future developments in quantum mechanics and theories of gravity may also shed more light on this fascinating topic.