Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Superposition/Wave function inside blackhole

1. Dec 11, 2011 #1
    So I am just starting to understand QM and relating it to my own ideas...

Within the event horizon of a black hole there can be no conscience observer, so all matter held within would be in superposition and in no way could we collapse the wave function of a particle. So doesn't that mean all mass within would need to be considered waves and not particles? I mean i know all matter is both waves and particles but basically this means in no way could a singularity be considered to have a definite point in space. Or am I missing something?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 11, 2011 #2
    This is not true. There is no singularity at the horizon. It is just the point of no return. You could enter the event horizon of a super-massive black hole and die a peaceful death of old age. If the black hole is large enough it could contain entire (doomed) civilizations.

Skippy

PS The rest of your question involves the nature of the "wave function"; physically real wave or mathematical object describing my knowledge of a quantum system. Many discussions of this on this forum. It is not a settled question.

4. Dec 11, 2011 #3

But for those of us outside the event horizon there is no way to observe whats inside? cause it is the point of no return for all matter and waves so no information leaves it.

5. Dec 11, 2011 #4
    Yes, this is true.

6. Dec 11, 2011 #5
    Hmm... this question does make me wonder though. Is a black hole a perfect example of a particle in a box?

7. Dec 11, 2011 #6

e.bar.goum

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

In that it can't escape, yes, and you can consider the event-horizon analogous to the "infinite potential" of the box. But the point of a particle in a box is that it's very easy to calculate the energy eigenstate wavefunctions. I somehow doubt it'll be the case in a black hole.

Also, you'll recall that black holes radiate information, after all. So not entirely an isolated system.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook