Superpositions and strong force

In summary, the strong force governs the dynamics of a system of particles, while the wavefunction only describes the current state. Therefore, after wavefunction collapse, the particles will remain bound by the strong force and will become entangled with each other again over time.
Billmyk
I'm a bit confused now i understand that when one observes a particle for example @ Eigenstate A all its superpositions collapse because they are entangled with A which leaves them no longer entangled. My dilemma and maybe you can help me, is that If you observe a complex structure of sub atomic particles @ Eigenstate A. which of course is bound together by strong force , its superpositions collapse because those particles are entangled to A/ leaving them no longer entangled to any eigenstate or superposition! Heres the problem i have
if strong force was functioning on those complex structures of sub atomic particles in eigenstate A prior to observation and wave function collapse why would strong force just stop function after wave function collapse... shouldn't those particles remain bound by such after observation and WFC. any thoughts on such would be appreciated

Physics news on Phys.org
The particles would indeed remain bound after the wavefunction "collapse". The strong force governs the Hamiltonian that describes how the wavefunction will evolve in time. It's the Hamiltonian that describes the dynamics of the system, while the wavefunction is just the system's current state. This is why, for example, a cat in an isolated box wouldn't literally dissolve into a miasma of cat particles after someone looks at it.

I expect that shortly after collapse, the Hamiltonian describing the strong force will show that the particles will become entangled with each other again as they interact over time (a very small time scale, I expect).

Likes bhobba

What is a superposition in physics?

A superposition in physics refers to the state of an object or system being in multiple states or positions at the same time. This concept is a fundamental principle in quantum mechanics and helps explain the behavior of particles at a subatomic level.

How does the strong force work?

The strong force is one of the four fundamental forces of nature and is responsible for holding together the nucleus of an atom. It works by binding together quarks, the building blocks of protons and neutrons, through the exchange of particles called gluons.

What is the difference between the strong force and the other fundamental forces?

The strong force is significantly stronger than the other three fundamental forces (electromagnetic, weak, and gravitational) at the subatomic level. It also has a much shorter range, only acting within the nucleus of an atom.

Can superpositions exist at a larger, macroscopic scale?

While superpositions are commonly observed at the subatomic level, they are not typically seen at a larger, macroscopic scale. This is because as objects increase in size, their wave-like properties become negligible and their behavior is better described by classical mechanics.

How does the concept of superpositions relate to quantum computing?

In quantum computing, the ability to maintain and manipulate superpositions of quantum bits (qubits) allows for more complex and efficient processing of information compared to classical computers. This is because qubits can represent and process multiple states simultaneously, resulting in faster computations for certain tasks.