Superstrings and the Laws of Physics

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of superstrings and whether they dictate the laws of physics. Some believe that manipulating superstrings could alter the laws of physics, but others are skeptical. The question is raised about whether the laws of physics still apply in a place with no matter.
Bunting
Im by no means an expert on any quantum phemonina, but here goes!

I believe the law's of physics must be dictated by something, a physical quantity if you will. Like laws are enforced upon earth, only in a much better manner! If the smallest possible thing is one of these "superstrings", would it then be "ok", to say that superstrings dictate the rules of physics and everything, and thus being able to manipulate superstrings may be being able to change the laws of physics?

Ive been told there's no feasible way of altering a superstring though, there way too small (like a tree compared to the universe would be 1 string). However this is from a very sceptical physisist, who beleives all practical quantum theory methods proposed (such as quantum teleportation) is "hogwash". I know some people here have more open minds, and so i was wondering what you thought! Being able to alter the laws of physics could prove invaluable, but could also prove disasterous! ANy thoughts ?

Physics news on Phys.org
If your mind is too open, all the sense might leak out. If you want to listen to people who deny what modern physics has found out and confirmed by experiement, because they flatter your naive beliefs, then go right ahead. You have nothing to lose but your chance of understanding how nature really works.

ok, so maybe it is a bit "stupid", but if theere is indeed a place with no matter. No atoms, no neutrinos, no strings even, do the laws of physics apply there ? if there's nothing there, could laws be maintained ?

i thought the point was that I am not neccessarily listening to what this guy has said, i don't understand your second part of that reply :-/

if there's nothing there , how can laws govern nothing?

What are superstrings?

Superstrings are hypothetical tiny one-dimensional objects that are believed to be the fundamental building blocks of the universe. They are thought to vibrate at different frequencies, giving rise to the different particles and forces in our universe.

What is the significance of superstrings in the laws of physics?

Superstrings are a key component of string theory, which is a theoretical framework that attempts to reconcile the theories of general relativity and quantum mechanics. String theory proposes that all particles and forces in the universe are made up of one-dimensional strings, including gravity.

What evidence is there for superstrings?

Currently, there is no direct evidence for superstrings. However, string theory has made several predictions that have been supported by experimental data, such as the existence of extra dimensions and the unification of forces.

How do superstrings relate to other areas of physics?

Superstrings are a part of theoretical physics and are closely related to other theories such as quantum mechanics and general relativity. String theory also has implications for cosmology, as it suggests that the universe may have multiple dimensions.

What are the potential implications of superstrings for our understanding of the universe?

If superstrings are proven to exist, it would revolutionize our understanding of the laws of physics and the fundamental nature of reality. It could also potentially lead to advancements in technology and our ability to manipulate the fabric of the universe.