Supreme Court Rules Property Rights

In summary, the Supreme Court ruled that local governments may seize people's homes and businesses against their will for private development, and that this is OK because the local officials know better than federal judges.
learningphysics said:
Did he receive reasonable compensation?
I don't know how much they paid him (they did pay him something), but I don't remember him complaining about it.
BobG said:
I would use a higher criteria for using eminent domain. The key is essential services. You've got a point about the location of police and fire stations. The remainder, libraries, parks, etc, should be the best available location. Using eminent domain to obtain a desired location, even for things everyone in the community pays to build or use, falls in the same category as using eminent domain for commercial purposes in my opinion.
So, it may be a rare situation, but what if there is no available location?
I think you should start with all acceptable locations, an acceptable budget, and keep eminent domain as a 'last resort'. For instance, building an elementary school in an industrial area along a busy highway at the edge of the county (so that most of the kids need to be bussed there) for a tenth of the city's annual operating budget is unacceptable IMO. In such a situation, I think seizing property- with just compensation- is acceptable.
I don't know how to prevent abuse though. If any politician doesn't know that people don't like being kicked out of their homes, they'll discover this as soon as they propose it. But I guess it's asking too much for everyone to be reasonable and cooperative, and the majority can still pick on the minority. I'd have to think about if or how that could be prevented.

Physics news on Phys.org
BobG said:
I would use a higher criteria for using eminent domain. The key is essential services. You've got a point about the location of police and fire stations. The remainder, libraries, parks, etc, should be the best available location. Using eminent domain to obtain a desired location, even for things everyone in the community pays to build or use, falls in the same category as using eminent domain for commercial purposes in my opinion.

I disagree, when it comes to government services, desired locations and essential locations should be one in the same. The whole idea of our government is to put a service in reach of as many people as possible.

wait wait... when you say desirable... are you saying desirable as in "its diserable to have the location near clients" or disirable in a commercial retail ideal where "its diserable to have a location that's low in crime, high in traffic, with a starbucks near by". If you mean desirable in the former case, i disagree with you and think government institutions should be where htey best serve the people. If its the latter then i agree.

I loved this interview with the attorney that won the case to seize the homes.

CARLSON: What would you stay them? To (New London resident) Wilhelmina Dery, for instance, whose family has been in their house, as you know, since 1901. She was born there. This must be crushing to her. How would explain this for her?

CARLSON: But can you give me the three sentences you would say to her to make her feel better about this?

HORTON: Yes. I would say, it's too that bad your property has been taken. All I can say to you, ma'am, is, it's being taken for the public interest and New London, as a whole, will be better for it.

CARLSON: OK. Well, I hope that makes her feel better. Wesley Horton, congratulations on your victory, anyway.

HORTON: Thank you very much.

CARLSON: Even if I disagree with the outcome. Thanks a lot.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/8346024/

Evo said:
HORTON: Yes. I would say, it's too that bad your property has been taken. All I can say to you, ma'am, is, it's being taken for the public interest and New London, as a whole, will be better for it.
Oh, BS! The land is being taken to give to a developer who will make a huge profit, and the benefit to the community (which is probably minimal) will not offset the detriment of those who lose their homes.

I can't believe there aren't other locations just as acceptable for the project. I could understand taking out derelict or abandoned buildings, but homes where people live.

This is just plain wrong! :mad:

Just Desserts!

This is priceless!

http://www.cnn.com/2005/LAW/06/29/souter.property.ap/index.html
A critic of the U.S. Supreme Court's ruling that governments may seize private property for economic development is suggesting the process be used to replace Justice David Souter's New Hampshire home with a hotel.

from WorldNetDaily.com
Logan Darrow Clements faxed a request to Chip Meany, the code enforcement officer of the town of Weare, N.H., seeking to start the application process to build a hotel on 34 Cilley Hill Road, the present location of Souter's home.

Wrote Clements: "Although this property is owned by an individual, David H. Souter, a recent Supreme Court decision, Kelo v. City of New London, clears the way for this land to be taken by the government of Weare through eminent domain and given to my LLC for the purposes of building a hotel. The justification for such an eminent domain action is that our hotel will better serve the public interest as it will bring in economic development and higher tax revenue to Weare."

According to a statement from Clements, the proposed development, called "The Lost Liberty Hotel" will feature the "Just Desserts Café" and include a museum, open to the public, "featuring a permanent exhibit on the loss of freedom in America." Instead of a Gideon's Bible in each room, guests will receive a free copy of Ayn Rand's novel "Atlas Shrugged," the statement said.

Last edited by a moderator: